Vallejo Model Air Questions

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
Stikpusher

Re: Vallejo Model Air Questions

Post by Stikpusher »

Yesterday I tried a mix experiment. I tried thinning Model Air with Testors Universal Acrylic Thinner. I had heard from some guys at IPMS or AMPS that the two were comparable. They were. They mixed and thinned with no apparent ill effects. So.... should straight from the bottle not work well, I have a thinner to use onhand.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, the first session went flawlessly. I used the Model Air straight from the bottle at approx. 20 psi in my Badger 105. For area coverage of a single color, I can’t think of an easier time airbrushing... ever.

I am letting it dry now so that I do not mar the finish when I flip it over to do the topside color.

Next update regarding performance in a few hours.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: Interesting results there Stik, that looks great. Sometimes you just can't beat trying things for yourself.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes indeed Stuart, and thank you. I’m glad that I did not heed the advice to just throw the stuff away. I watched a video on the Vallejo site about getting best results with the stuff, so when I do some other projects with this stuff, I’ll have some ideas for fine tuning its’ usage.
But I do see where they have an almost rubbery feel to them after drying to touch, as Mike said. Especially on areas where it is more heavily applied. I do hope that changes as the paint cures.

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I'm not sure how you did it, I fight tip dry like crazy trying to use model air.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I don’t know Clint. It’s cool (for Arizona) with low humidity here, so maybe that has something to do with it.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Happy to hear of your good experiences Carlos.

That is eventually the most important thing at the end of any painting session, success with the tools and paints !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Agreed Kari. Next step will be to experiment with thinner and air pressure for more fine work.

FLSM
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

I was considering getting them because they have the Modern IDF Sand gray for a 2014 Merkava,so maybe I will keep looking.

Any suggestions on that IDF Sand Gray circa 2014
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

First off, I’d say who else makes the color? Look at options available. I would think that Mig/Ammo, AK, Model Air, and perhaps Mission Models make that color in their line ups. Each brand of acrylics, which are the mainstream today, has its own quirks. Some paint line’s take on RLM 02 Gray, being lighter and sandier in tone than others, looks close enough for that color as well.

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”