Back flushing an airbrush

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Back flushing an airbrush

Post by jkim »

I'm a bad boy and back flush my Iwata HP-C Plus all the time. Yeah, some paint gets pushed back beyond the air supply connection but it doesn't really affect the performance besides getting the needle temporarily stuck at times when it dries (not in operation). I also do all of my paint mixing in the cup, which is something I heard you should not do.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Ha Ha, seems to work!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

jkim wrote:I'm a bad boy and back flush my Iwata HP-C Plus all the time. Yeah, some paint gets pushed back beyond the air supply connection but it doesn't really affect the performance besides getting the needle temporarily stuck at times when it dries (not in operation). I also do all of my paint mixing in the cup, which is something I heard you should not do.
I was having a similar problem, when I would get my airbrush out the needle would always be a bit stuck. I fixed that by not storing the needle in the air brush but instead in the box it came in between two pieces of foam.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Hmm. My Iwata NEO I backflush. But now after reading these posts I may not anymore. Every now and then I get the same issues Lyle talked about. Kinda makes sense.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

jkim wrote:I'm a bad boy and back flush my Iwata HP-C Plus all the time. Yeah, some paint gets pushed back beyond the air supply connection but it doesn't really affect the performance besides getting the needle temporarily stuck at times when it dries (not in operation). I also do all of my paint mixing in the cup, which is something I heard you should not do.
I have the same airbrush and I back flush as well. Never had a problem because of that. I do get the same needle stick because I don't clean it as well as I should.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

The only exception i backflush is while cleaning the airbrush with lacquer thinner.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I just caught up with this. This is interesting. I have a Badger 105, Sotar 20/20, and an Iwata Neo; all gravity feed that I always backflush with lacquer thinner when cleaning. I found that it cleans faster and more thoroughly; otherwise I have paint in the needle tube that blocks subsequent paint sessions. It usually only takes two backflushes and a couple spray-throughs of lacquer thinner and the brush is clean and ready to go for the next session. Doing this means I only have to break everything down once a month or so to do a thorough cleaning. I haven't gotten needle stick either.

John, I also mix my paint in the cup.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I guess I’m just hard on them. Just sent the 105 back to Badger, the HP-CS is dead and I have apparently lost another 105 that I put away so I would not loose it. The Badger 350 isn’t spraying right ...tip clog and spitting. Sigh. I think the 350’s problem may be paint thickness.

I just bought a Neo at Hobby Lobby. 60 before the 40% coupon.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Modeling Discussion”