There's no such thing as not having enough model paints

Talk about anything modeling: kits, tools, paint, etc...
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: There's no such thing as not having enough model paints

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Xtracolor... Now there’s a brand I’ve never seen anywhere. I am waiting for Revell paints to finally hit the shelves.
Having had used Humbrol Track brown enamels, I really like it especially for airbrushing. No doubt a few Humbrol colors will be in the future.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Most of the shops in the 90’s around where I lived carried the Xtracolor line. They are really good enamels.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

I think in the early days for all of us, it was whatever we could get at the LHS or other places.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

When I was a kid, it went from being a kid in a toy store, with their long model aisle, to the first time in a hobby shop... and life was never the same.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Stikpusher wrote:
Medicman71 wrote:I think in the early days for all of us, it was whatever we could get at the LHS or other places.
When I was a kid, it went from being a kid in a toy store, with their long model aisle, to the first time in a hobby shop... and life was never the same.
I remember finding my first real hobby shop. War & Pieces in West Hartford center. Begging my dad to bring me. And then when I was about 12-13 him allowing me to ride my bike the 6+ miles there.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

My fond memories was heading to the local Kmart by my grandparents to buy models. Back then they ran anywhere from $5 - $8 depending on what kit you bought. I bought mostly Monogram car kits.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, that looks about like the number of paints I have, thanks to a couple Distressed Kit Auctions.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I've pretty much always been a Humbrol enamel user until recently - now I have about 5 or 6 brands.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

You never have enough paint and that is a FACT.

I would add washes, binders, pigments et all as well. As a testament I have 5 different shades of PINK in my inventory. You would think to yourself perhaps "Pink? WTF would i need more than one pink?" Until you use one of those shades and it absolutely nails the look you are going for. THEN, you know that having "too much" paint is simply not a thing.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well let’s see now for pink... SAS Pink Panther Land Rover... collar piping on Panzer crews... temporary camo scheme worn on P-36s seen at the Cleveland air races in the 30s... I’m sure there are more pinks to be used... :hmm:

FLSM

Return to “Modeling Discussion”