That time again!

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: That time again!

Post by jeaton01 »

One wonders why there are any left to catch.... :hmm:
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

They're a negative point!
Nobody wants em and they get tossed back!

When I was a kid, and actually kept most of the fish I caught, there didn't seam to be as many. For every dozen or so bluegill, I might get 2-3 rockbass.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Fermis wrote:
:giggles:

To some degree, I guess.
They will hit anything. To prove that point to my bro...I hooked a blade of grass to a bare hook. In less than 10 seconds...rockbass.

My scoring system is...
1 point per species...and 1 point per fish.
Say I catch 3 smallmouth...that's 4 points (1 for species, 3 for each fish)
My challenger catches 1 smally and 1 largemouth...that's 4 points (1 for each species[2] and 1 for each fish[2])
Rockbass are a negative point (because they're so easy). You do get the species point for the first one, but the negative point negates it, and it's a -1 for each one after that. It's an extra challenge...to NOT catch a rockbass!

They are a great introduction for kids though. Easy to catch, any time of day and in any condition.
I must REALLY suck then! I've never even caught a rockbass! :bag: :bag:

I guess I'd better stick with model building.....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Being in Cali, that makes perfect sense!

Light brown is there native range (guessing the darker areas are areas they were introduced?)

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

When I was bass fishing in CT. If we were at a lake that had rock bass it was a struggle to not catch them. Some of them were so fat it looked like they swallowed a golf ball. For fun fishing though they are hard to beat
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

From a biodiversity perspective, the lakes in California can be quite limited. I miss all of the funky sunfish species that were around when I lived in Virginia as a kid including rockbass.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

We've got...
4 varieties of bluegill/sunfish...along with a few crossbreeds with rockbass. Rockbass, black & white crappie, yellow perch, shad.
L/M, S/M bass, walleye, Pike (I caught a rainbow once, but according to the DNR, we don't have trout)
Channel cat, yellow & brown bullhead, carp, white, redhorse & hognose suckers, bowfin(dogfish), longnose gar.
And of course, a variety of minnows/chubs

Aside from the minnows, the only fish we have that I haven't caught on hook & line is a gar. I've arrowed many, but never actually hooked one here.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Down here in SW Florida its the Cichlids that are the "rock bass". Peacocks Mayans Oscars.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I have found a new species that takes "rock bass"(as a derogatory) to a whole new level.
Went fishing on the Detroit River yesterday, targeting walleye. We ended up with 17 keepers, lost a few and tossed a few.

On the way back in, we saw gulls diving at the water near the shore. Motored on over and threw a line...BAM..instantly.
With zero exaggeration...EVERY SINGLE CAST we caught fish. We played around for about 15 minutes and boated over 30 of these things.

White bass...

This was my first time ever catching one.
I was told they get pretty mooshy, pretty quick and they don't freeze well. So I only kept 2 to try out.
I cooked one up for lunch. 1st bite...I instantly regretted not keeping a few more!
I cooked the other along with a walleye for dinner....it's better than walleye!

To the right is Mark, the manager at my airport, his buddy Gary, Gary's buddy Al (my 1st time meeting the later two....good people and a lot of fun!)
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice catches!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Free Discussion”