1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Post by jkim »

Floki wrote:It's all looking good! Getting closer to the painting stage it looks like.
Not quite yet but getting there! Mr. Crandall pointed out that the gear covers were the wrong color. I just posted this response:
Point taken and acknowledged. Thank you Jerry! I must say at this point that I am most likely going to deviate from the specific color recommendations found in your wonderful book, which I own and treasure. I also have both volumes of the JaPo 190D books, which I also like very much. There are differences in opinion in this these two great books and I cannot say that one is right and the other is wrong. They both seem to have great insights in their analyses and both are worth considering. The choices that I make on this build are my own and based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge and interpretation of resources that I have access to. I make no claims that my build represents historical accuracy... it's just a personal interpretation of what Yellow 10 MIGHT have looked like.

My plan, as of now, is to paint the upper wings RLM 74/75 with the 74 wrapping under to the forward wing bottoms. The base color for the fuselage will 76/81/82, similar to this color profile of 836016, one of the other recorded D-13's...

I understand that the above profile is purely speculative since the only photo of 836016 is black and white and only shows the aircraft from the double chevron marking back. My placement of the 81/82 will be different as I want the lighter 82 around the canopy/windscreen/cowling as I agree with Crandall's assertion that the mottle pattern on the area in front of the windscreen is dark on light rather than light on dark as proposed by JaPo. After the base camo is established, a random mottle pattern using 82/83 will be placed over all of the upper surfaces.

That's the plan... for now anyway.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

First steps in the painting process... the ailerons were given a black mottle pre-shade and then sprayed with Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM76. The pre-shading on such a small area is really not going to be noticeable but I wanted to maintain consistency in my work flow. Note the red-colored masks in the wheel wells. I have previously used these pieces of foam when I built my JV44 Dora.

After the ailerons were masked off using custom cut masks from the Silhouette Portrait, a coat of Tamiya Black was laid down as a base for the metal finish.

The primary metal color was AK Extreme Metal Aluminum, which is very similar to Alclad. Again, using a custom cut mask for the small panels and ports, a contrast was introduced using Alclad Dark Aluminum.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The forward portion of the wing bottoms were masked off using Post-its to prevent damage to the aluminum color and sprayed with Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM 74.

I should've done my normal pre-shading all at one time instead of doing the bottom-only first. Now I'll have to do some masking work before I can continue.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Nice progress, John.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Really nice progress! Like the idea of the cut masks other than for markings
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Your painting work is nigh perfection, John! (It was you I have to thank for the creative use of a Post-It Note as a quick mask! Thank you, sir.)
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Great metal work!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! Neat but not perfect... you can see the overspray in the last pic, bottom right corner.

Since I've gone this far, I may as finish off the wing bottoms now. I painted the simplified black crosses on the bottom using masks. When cutting masks using the Silhouette Portrait or other craft cutter, it pays to inspect the masks very closely before using. Every once in a while I'll find a wobbly line or shape which will require re-cutting.

I'm going to mask the bottom areas and move to pre-shading the rest of the model.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Man, I’m in awe of your masking and paint work...on top of your building skills.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”