Um... Airfix 1/72 F-16A

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Um... Airfix 1/72 F-16A

Post by Stuart »

Hi Guys,

Okay so I know this type of trash kit isn't normal SPAM fare, but I thought I'd post up a thread anyway, just to show what I'm up to if nothing else. :bag:

It's probably because I've been reading a few books on the 1980's USAFE, but
I've really been keen on building an F-16A of late.

Not only that, but whilst I'm enjoying building up the many many part Tamiya P-38 cockpit, I really fancy a quick and simple build to decompress while I'm doing it... (especially now we're on bloody lockdown again).

So I picked this up today from Amazon.

This is a recent re-release of an old 80's kit, and is about as good as you'd expect. Coincidentally, the 80's was about the last time I built a Viper, so this should be fun!

I started it tonight - It took about thirty minutes of relaxing work to put together the few cockpit parts and add some nose weight. Tomorrow I'll crack on with some paint. I'm think that this will be a OOB build but I might just rescribe it - it'll be good practice.

Question for you guys though. The kit comes with two TERs with six AGM-65s to hang from them (plus tanks and an ECM - as per the boxart). How likely is that load out, or should I just mod the pylon for one Maverick per side?

Pics tomorrow!

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: Um... Airfix 1/72 F-16A

Post by Stikpusher »

The two triple racks of Mavericks was something seen at airshows but not on operations. I’d say go with a single missile on a rail under each wing. Or you can go with various bombs on those pylons. The fuel tanks and ECM pod are standard. As are the Sidewinders on the wingtip rails.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Right on! Just curious... when did the aircraft name change from Falcon to Viper?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I don’t believe it was change from Falcon to Viper. Just another name for this type of jet. I want to guess it may have been a call sign to describe the F-16 Fighting Falcon.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

jkim wrote:Right on! Just curious... when did the aircraft name change from Falcon to Viper?
Officially it never has changed. When the F-16 was first accepted into service, the USAF named it Fighting Falcon, after the USAF Academy mascot. But in line service, pilots soon started calling it the Viper, supposedly after the TV show Battlestar Galactica colonial fighters of the same name at that time. That popular name has stuck with the aircraft over the years, rather than the “official” name. Just like the Bone for the B-1 and the Warthog for the A-10, neither of which are their official service names.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:The two triple racks of Mavericks was something seen at airshows but not on operations. I’d say go with a single missile on a rail under each wing. Or you can go with various bombs on those pylons. The fuel tanks and ECM pod are standard. As are the Sidewinders on the wingtip rails.
Thanks Carlos!

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Yeah what Carlos said about the load out. Triple Mavericks aren't used anymore including A-10's. It just proved to be impracticable.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Mike. I've completely ballsed up the scribing on this one - I'll have to see if I can save it!

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Show us so maybe we can help.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart wrote:Thanks Mike. I've completely ballsed up the scribing on this one - I'll have to see if I can save it!
In reality, the F-16 is a very clean design. Especially n the wings. Most models have way overdone the detail there. I would not worry about scribing much detail on there except for a few select access panels on the main fuselage

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”