Um... Airfix 1/72 F-16A

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: Um... Airfix 1/72 F-16A

Post by Stikpusher »

It should be a tight feathering. Not hard edge, but minimal overspray.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: Yeah that's what I thought. I think I might knock up a test mule and see if I can replicate it, shouldn't be too hard.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I admire folks who can pull off that soft edge. I’ve tried, and most of the time I’m not happy 100% with my results. Just need more practice.

Now, I believe it was either Big Duke Maddog or Mr. Black Sheep, one of those fellas, shared a video concerning Luftwaffe mottling -with a brush- and if I’m not mistaken in that video is an interesting technique for using minuscule amounts of thinner on a clean brush to diffuse the edges of the mottling, and the results are similar- a nice, feathered edge that looks scale.

If you’ve not seen it lemme know and I’ll try and dig it up.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

It's always best to refer to the real thing and as Carlos has posted, that edge is somewhat soft. Tricky to get those right using an airbrush. Even more challenging with a brush!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Hey Stuart, when you get around to the Tamiya F-16C, here is a good example of the current scheme. The light ghost gray on the bottom was eliminated, and it’s now gunship gray 36118 over neutral gray 36270.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hey fellas, Is it possible to do a hybrid approach and airbrush the edge only? Or is that cheating things a bit? That edge looks sprayed.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Hey Stuart, when you get around to the Tamiya F-16C, here is a good example of the current scheme. The light ghost gray on the bottom was eliminated, and it’s now gunship gray 36118 over neutral gray 36270.

Thanks Carlos, that matches with the research I've done. That's an interesting photo though, the gunship grey is behind the cockpit like the earlier A's, rather than halfway down it like the later C schemes I've seen.

Also interesting that the Sidewinders are grey and not white. :hmm:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:Hey fellas, Is it possible to do a hybrid approach and airbrush the edge only? Or is that cheating things a bit? That edge looks sprayed.
I'm sure its possible Bruce but not having a functioning airbrush puts the stops on that - I've done overspray effects before with a stippling brush that worked well, but nothing this tight. I'll sort it out.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart wrote:
Thanks Carlos, that matches with the research I've done. That's an interesting photo though, the gunship grey is behind the cockpit like the earlier A's, rather than halfway down it like the later C schemes I've seen.

Also interesting that the Sidewinders are grey and not white. :hmm:
Yes, sometimes it helps to look at photos of certain aircraft to be sure of the paint scheme because of variations like this. With F-16’s, F16.net is an excellent resource, as they have a very comprehensive database on every F-16 ever made, with photos of nearly each individual aircraft.

As far as the missiles go, they have not been white for a LONG time. US air to air missiles have been made in light ghost gray since around 1980 or so. Any white live AAM seen afterwards was old stock. Some air to ground missiles such as the Standard, Shrike, and HARM, are still white. Others, such as the Maverick can be OD or Gray depending upon version after the color change.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart wrote:
speedgraflex wrote:Hey fellas, Is it possible to do a hybrid approach and airbrush the edge only? Or is that cheating things a bit? That edge looks sprayed.
I'm sure its possible Bruce but not having a functioning airbrush puts the stops on that - I've done overspray effects before with a stippling brush that worked well, but nothing this tight. I'll sort it out.
Can of Tamiya gray extra fine primer? It’s very thin because it carries no pigments.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”