Classic Biplane Duelists

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Classic Biplane Duelists

Post by BlackSheep214 »

What scale is it, Carlos?

Wing Nuts Wings have the best WW1 subjects hands down. Sadly, they folded. Not to mention, they're pricey too.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

These are both 1/48 kits Tom. Wingnuts Wings kits are indeed gorgeous. But way to pricey for my budget.

Last night I began construction. Actually though it was mostly just paint work.

First I took a razor saw along the seat to give it some texture to suggest that of the wicker seats actually used. Once painted and with a wash it should look more the part.

Then I painted up other cockpit components, and the interior of the fuselage halves. Just getting the base colors on for now. I’m not gonna use the kit pilot, so behind the seat is a glaring empty space. I searched thru my spares/salvaged parts and came up with a fuel tank to fill the void. It somewhat resembles the real thing. I’m not going for 100% accuracy, just stuff to suggest what should be there. I’m sure that must sound like blasphemy to some modelers.

I’ll get to work on detail painting and washes over the next few days, plus whatever mods I intend to scratch up for the cockpit.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hey what a fantastic idea for a bubby build! :grin: :cool: A nice choice of subjects and some great vintage kits :shoutout: I shall look forward to both your builds!

Great start Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Stuart. This is gonna be fun. I think this might be a good idea for future buddy builds. Say for example a Mig-21 and F-4 Phantom from Vietnam or the Arab Israeli Wars. So many possibilities!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

To follow Carlos, here are my cleanup and detailing work steps for the Triplane’s seat. First, I reduced the overall thickness of all edges, using 180 to 320 grit papers. Sandpaper of choice are sheets by Tamiya and sanding sticks by Mr Hobby. Then I filled the injection molded hole, despite knowing that a seat cushion would cover it. Not sure why I did that, but I did. The final touch was to add a bent and formed copper wire edge.

With each project I want to try something new, so I chose Vallejo Wood Grain to brush over either a tan or brown base coat. I masked the sections to accord with the triangular sheets of wood used to form the actual cockpit.

It was only later that I realized that the two “armrests” used to grip the sides of the seat prevented me from locating the seat properly and would need to be removed. Yes. I should have fitted the cockpit seat and floor first.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce that wood grain looks sweet! That is some great looking paintwork. I might have to grab some and try it myself.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Bruce that wood grain looks sweet! That is some great looking paintwork. I might have to grab some and try it myself.

I would be excited to see your results on the interior (right). Is that Humbrol tan?

If you do, I think this not only works for any interior paneling, it will make the tricky layers of the propeller possible. I think. Or perhaps, I hope! This goes on smooth. Work in layers. Slowly. Full strength on a good sable round point. I used a piece of paper to remove the excess, and to keep too much paint from building up on the brush. Then I diffused the layers with water, a few drops. I let that color tonality flow smoothly in the grain direction.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Next time I get down to one of the local shops I’ll see if they have any in stock.

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That is a beautiful wood grain effect.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice! I, too need too need to pick that up. It’ll come in very useful for my P-51B Mustang since they have a wooden floor in the cockpit.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”