Classic Biplane Duelists

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Classic Biplane Duelists

Post by Floki »

Not sure if this will be any help to you. This is how I painted the wooden prop on my fokker

I drew the lamination lines with a pencil also used a pencil to simulate some wood grain. Then used some medium brown Vallejo and orange orch. I added the lamination lines again with a colored pencil. then took some really thin Vallejo orange brown and gave it several washes followed last with some clear gloss
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That is a thing of beauty, Clint. Thank you for clearly explaining your process. Very helpful. I was working on flight controls tonight, which no one will even see, but I also need to craft LSP belts (I have seen also an H-shaped harness as well. So basically I am sharpening skills - filling molding holes, painting wood grain with brushes, small detail fabrication in copper and brass - and since it is a buddy build I can match steps with Carlos and get this done........
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

A buddy build? So two or more builds on the same thread? That's a cool idea! Is there some sort of obligation to keep pace with one another? I have a feeling Carlos is ready to bang his out pretty quick? :giggles:

Another easy way of simulating wood grain is using oil paints...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Don’t worry John, I’m sure that I’ll get slowed down by each detailing idea I get that will pop up as I move along. :wink: The opening for the cockpit is 3/4” wide at most, so not a lot can be seen thru it. But I want something to be seen in there. I’ll just move at a more rapid pace using whatever I have onhand compared to ordering AM stuff. Besides I have a concurrent tank project to occupy me while paint or glue is drying.

That oil paint wood grain work is fantastic! :wow:

And thank you Clint for the quick lesson on your little Fokker’s laminated wood propellor method.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

how in the heck do they get the wood grain to be in the paint tube? Wow....John, please show how you did that propeller blade. That is lovely.

Carlos/Bruce....let's keep moving forward men! Great stuff so far.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Today’s update. Lots of painting and drilling and sanding and measuring & cutting... and not much gluing. So here we go.

First up, I was not happy with the filler points on the top deck behind the cockpit, so I drilled those out.

Before and after

Then I repainted the cockpit floor based off some photos of preserved Camels. Different custom shade of wood that I mixed up compared to the sidewalls

Then I modified the salvaged fuel tank into the piece affair that the real one had. Not to mention lots of sanding to get it to fit into the fuselage behind the pilot seat. I also painted the seat cushion and edging, again based off of photos of Museum Camels

And lastly, base colors finished on the IP and control yoke, plus I scratch built up a rudder bar with control linkage rods, again based off of Museum Camels

A bit more stuff to do like instrument decals, washes and perhaps an attempt at wood grain before I can put it all together.

Until the next update...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looking really good Carlos! Was the filler ports just holes that led to the internal fuel tank cap or you got something else planned to replicate them. Sorry for the question, I don't know much about WW1 aircraft.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Clint, I’ve seen the fuel fillers depicted with trunking and without. I plan on doing some trunking on mine.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Very interesting project Bruce and Carlos !

:popcorn:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

LyleW wrote:how in the heck do they get the wood grain to be in the paint tube? Wow....John, please show how you did that propeller blade. That is lovely.

Carlos/Bruce....let's keep moving forward men! Great stuff so far.
It's surprisingly easy. After establishing a tan or brown base, you simply apply some contrasting oil paint and start pushing/removing the oil with a flat brush. The bristles will create the grain. You can even create knots by manipulating the brush in certain ways.

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/tbpai ... paint-them
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”