Classic Biplane Duelists

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: Classic Biplane Duelists

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks for that link John, that is exactly what I needed! I am going to try oils for this effect.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I would not paint a wooden propeller with the grain pattern shown by John. Although the colors and finish are great, a grain pattern like that would not be consistent with how wooden propellers were made. They were built up of thin laminations, around 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch, depending on the size of the propeller. This is not true of Jablo type propellers which were compressed under high pressure but I've never seen one of that type that did dot have an opaque cover of some type, that was part of the process of making them. Schwarz is another name for this process.

What you would expect to see is a terraced effect produced when the propeller blade is shaped to final form. The steeper the slope, as at the root, the closer the lines appear. At the tip, on in mid blade center, you will see fairly wide spacing. Most wood blades post WW I had brass formed on the leading edges, and often had a fabric cover on the outer diameter of the blade to reduce abrasion.

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

FWIW... I was not recommending this technique for any specific purpose but was assuming it was going to be considered for the fuselage interior, which I think would be appropriate. My prop example was produced knowing that most of it would be covered up so I would not use that for an unpainted prop blade.

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes I was just planning to use the oil paint wood grain technique on the wood panel areas of the Camel around the cockpit. I’ll do something else for the laminate look on the propellor.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Here is my trial mock-up of the cockpit. I am missing the compass on a vertical stand. Nothing is glued in position but everything fits, with the removal of the “armrests” used to position the cockpit with a pilot. The entire assembly was located too far back, so I have adjusted forward. The foot rests are scrap pieces of sandpaper. The control stick is Albion Alloy brass tubing with the kit “controller” section grafted on top. The seat cushion is a small piece of Milliput.

I wanted to note that this is essentially brush painted using Humbrol enamels, which is in keeping with my desire to be 13 years old again when building this. I would probably have pilfered brass tubing from my Dad’s slot car frames for the control assembly. I certainly would be brush painting but I bet I would use Testors square bottles.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice work...for something Snoopy will shoot out of the sky.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:Nice work...for something Snoopy will shoot out of the sky.
:giggles:

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Apparently the real aircraft lasted less than a month from assigned service in the unit to its demise; literally burned to pieces by a phosphorus bullet. The pilot parachuted to safety.

I wanted to add a note of thanks to both John Kim and John Eaton for their words and talents. One challenge for me is to replicate what you both do so well, using my meager tools. I did not mean to pass over your comments, gentlemen or ever give short shrift for your posts. I am very grateful to have your knowledge!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Combat aircraft could have very short lifespans. But they’re are only machines. If the man survived, that is something.
Your cockpit is coming along nicely Bruce. I hear you about painting with square bottle paints last time that you worked on these kits. Me too. Although I had discovered Pactra International paints by then at Mac’s Hobbies in Costa Mesa. Ah those simpler times. :hmm:

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I spritzed the strips I made spottily with Gunze; trying to defeat the plastic tape look somewhat. It works better for me to slice the strips lengthwise first. After the paint dried, the finish was uniform. Score one for Gunze. Make me look good. I’ll take it.

Carlos, I had a starter set of Pactra square bottle as well. I think what was and is most fun was the ability to conceptualize with a pretty basic set of tools, a way to use imagination in pursuit of a subject much more extensively. The first Aurora kit I built was a used church rummage sale Sovereign of the Seas. The entire ship was painted with one brush and square bottle paints.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”