1:48 P-51B “Spare Parts” (Tamiya Kit)

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KennyX
Elite Member

Re: 1:48 P-51B “Spare Parts” (Tamiya Kit)

Post by KennyX »

Good afternoon fellas!

Right off the bat, big thanks again to Fermis for his input, and you guys for weighing in and brainstorming. This gave me a lot of food for thought.

I was kept up a little bit last night because I couldn’t stop contemplating the shift in hue and “color” which occurred on the gun/ammo panels on Spare Parts’ wings. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy with how that stage came out. The issue though was that I couldn’t find a single photo of a P-51 sporting panels which stood out that much :lol: ... so while I wanted those panels to stand out, as if they were replacement panels from a different aircraft, I didn’t want them to be “that” obvious.

So enter what I’m now referring to as “The Fermis Protocol.”

Taking what he said into account, it occurred to me quite naturally that by carefully spraying over the whole wing with a few more coats of the RAF High Speed silver, I could probably bring them up to where they just looked like a slightly darker shade of “aluminum lacquer” due to the fact that while this stuff is technically also a primer, the inherent thinness and translucency of it which John pointed out still holds true. Below are the results.

BEFORE (cool but not necessarily “accurate”):

AFTER (still cool, more subtle, looks like they came off a darker airplane or maybe one which was more worn, in keeping with the “salvaged” spirit of this build):

I’m convinced!

...each wing got three light, misting coats each. Next I hit them individually, going a shade or two heavier on the port side wing, so that there’d be a subtle difference between the two areas.

I’m stoked at how this turned out. Very much so in point of fact. This “philosophy” or “methodology” of Fermis’ is absolutely what I needed in order to help me begin to understand painting with “metal” and how to incorporate my own previously-established methods and understanding of painting in-general so that I could get my head around it.

Very, VERY cool.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Yes, looks great. Fermis is indeed a wise man. What he wrote about rattle cans and silver plate was wonderful too. I look at it this way: if you want to adjust tone, choose a different base depending on finish type as well as location. If you start as you have adjusting midrange values you really are able to work subtle shifts. A black base is the most extreme end of the scale. More and more I like gloss white and silver.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Bruce,

Yessir, and I can absolutely see it from that other end of the spectrum. Definitely. And this understanding will end up helping me later on I do believe. And I’m interested in seeing what this approach will do for me here with Spare Parts. I still intend on using Duraluminum, Aluminum, and Dark Aluminum for this project. But I also intend on shifting the hues of each using an extension of Fermis’ excellent idea. I HATED the initial shifts and cloudiness I got in the finish before, because it was unintentional. Now I can at least grok *how* to make it intentional, and that’s a giant leap forward. Plus, not having to restrict myself to working with a gloss black coat, and instead being able to use gloss where I want it, matte in other places, and regular black or even grey and blue is a total win in my opinion. I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Nice! The Alclad metal shades are not completely opaque and that bit of translucence makes pre-shading effects possible. I played with that a bit on my Shiden Kai build...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Very nicely executed John! And thank you for sharing the photo because I’ve been curious what happens with Alclad if the substrate isn’t entirely black. That’s very cool.
Kenny X
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

KennyX wrote:Carlos,

I’m operating under the assumption that this is what he means. And I dig it, a lot. I’m considering scaling it down and spraying various blacks- primer, flat, matte, etc. through a stencil over the black primer base just to see what happens. This concept of his is, quite frankly, awesome.
I do not. I spray right on bare plastic...I do polish it with (layered rag) Dremel polishing wheel....as we all know..."metal" will show EVERY flaw!

The way I used to do it...I'd mask off the plastic and paint everything other than what was going to be "metal". Like anti-glare panels, etc. Then mask off and paint/prime selected panels. Then I'd mask over the painted areas(anti-glare and such) then spray bomb with MM buffable aluminum plate...once dry, I'd buff the heck out of it and make it shine.

This F-84 is one of the last ones I did that way.
You can see the difference on the wings leading edge and aileron. I did some those little access panels as well...but they really don't show up at this angle...

These days...I freehand everything. Starting with an over-all "Magnesium" (dark-ish shade), on bare plastic.
Then I'll "mottle" various shades (using MM Metalizers) on various panels. Lacquer gloss (Minwax)...then de-tacked Tamiya tape to mask and paint other areas (anti-glare, etc).
I topped off this little Fagot with a flat coat...

I prefer that look over the old way...but I feel it's about time to up my game on NMF!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Oops...quoted the wrong post :bag:

Stikpusher wrote:
Fermis wrote:
Tip (maybe): I discovered, by accident, that if you pick out a couple panels, mask and paint them with a "primer"...when you spray over them with "metal", they will have a different "tone". That said...that was back when I used rattlecan MM Metalizer and would just spray bomb the entire model with "Aluminum Plate". I have since changed my methods for NMF, but the old way still holds up nicely on the shelf! I would imagine any "metal" would get the same result.
I liked that method, as all the masking was done before any metal...which we all know can be quite delicate and easily destroying with masking.
Do you do the rest of the aircraft in gloss black aside from the primer panels before your metallic paint? This sounds like an interesting technique to try out... :hmm:
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Hey folks!

So the pressure gauge/valve/whatever on my air compressor sh!t the bed and died day before yesterday so painting-wise I’m dead in the water until the replacement part arrives in the mail from Amazon.

SO I’m taking the time to mask the canopy, and that’s going very well so far, albeit slowly.
Kenny X
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Bummers on the kaput compressor! I hope you are up and running soon!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ah that sucks! I hope you get sorted really soon!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”