1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. That really is a tough one to figure out. :headslap:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I haven't decided which cowling to use and didn't feel like working on the cockpit so I conducted a paint test, even though that stage is very far away. I used a spare wing to test two sets of RAF colors. On the right side are Mr Color paints and on the left Mr Hobby Aqueous + Tamiya. I think I'm going to go with the Mr Color paints as they spray a bit nicer and offer a better contrast between the two grays. I also cut some masks and tried my hand at the 4-color RAF roundels. Not perfect but I think I've established a working order for the color application with a minimum of mask transfers.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For a newer look, I like the green on the right and the gray on the left. For a more faded older look, use the opposites. The roundel masks look like you have that area dialed in just right.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Carlos! I'll probably stick to Mr Color for this build as I like their spray smoothness. The weathering process will take care of the fading and tonal variation.

Playing around with the cockpit a little bit. I've been hesitating because of all of the separate small parts that go into the cockpit. It would be easier to paint them separately but at the same time, I want to get all/most of the wiring into place before painting. I've added some of the small parts to the fuselage insides. The flare gun looks a bit overscale and I'll probably make the barrel and the flare cannisters smaller.

I was able to glue and blend in the intake roof to the kit cowling fairly well, which makes the decision as to which way to go a little tougher.

I am leaning towards using the kit cowling as of now. Lots of little reasons why but mostly because it fits better and requires less trimming to make things work. And a bit disappointed that the "corrected" spinner that I was sent was still too small. The kit spinner has been extensively re-shaped and I think I've done a decent job removing that bulbous look. Yes, the intake is too large but unless you compare them side by side, I don't think it is too noticeable.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wonderful work John,

the flaregun might look slightly overscaled, but definitely not in a big degree.
It's really an eyecatcher, one can almost smell the gun oil on it, as it's kept in very good and pristine condition by the pilot.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank Kari! I went ahead and downsized the flare gun barrel and flare canisters anyway.

Here are the cockpit sidewalls painted...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I think that flare gun looks super cool. Like a revolver on the saddle of a gunslinger. Maybe a bit overscale, but way cool!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

mostrich wrote:I think that flare gun looks super cool. Like a revolver on the saddle of a gunslinger. Maybe a bit overscale, but way cool!
Thank you sir! I agree that it is on the big side but it will be much less visible looking down from the outside. Plus it is a bit more visually interesting (and maybe more accurate) than having empty brackets. Hopefully, those are what those brackets are for since I've not done enough research to know if those were actually for the flare canisters and flare gun. :whistle:
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Have to remember a flare gun is noticably bigger than a revolver. I think it looks perfect.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The grip is going to be like a .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt. And of course the barrel is fitted to fire something in the 30mm - 40mm range. So no, they are not petite.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”