1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post by jkim »

Okay, I'm gonna spin up another build. I purchased this one quite a while ago but after admiring the contents of the box after receipt, it went up on my shelf and has stayed there ever since. It is not a subject that I am very familiar with but I started to think that, as a counterpart and worthy adversary to the Dora, it would be good for me to stick my toe on the other side of the fence.

The Hawker Tempest, like the Typhoon before it, was a brute of an aircraft, which is befitting of its immensely powerful 24-cylinder liquid cooled Napier Sabre powerplant. It is this powerplant that sets the Hi Tech version apart from the standard release.

Although I took the photos for it, I don't think I'll do a full sprue tour on this kit. There are plenty of online reviews that highlight the kit contents better than I so I'll simply list a few of the better reviews if you are interested...

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/ ... ewjh_1.htm
https://www.largescaleplanes.com/review ... p?rid=1928
https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/to ... %E2%80%9D/

A few notes about the kit plastic... the exterior of the Tempest is fully riveted. I don't know if I'm happy about that or not.

Although I like my builds to be riveted, I don't necessarily like it when the rivets come as part of the molding. The rivets made manually using a circular rivet tool produce very fine holes and result in an effect that is subtle and not distracting. Molded rivets are commonly too large and only a few companies can produce rivet detail that I think is great right out of the box (Tamiya and Eduard for example). I don't know enough about this kit to make a firm declaration but it is something that I am looking at.

Outside of the rivets, the molding quality on this kit looks very good. One of the places that manufacturers commonly sacrifice on mold definition is the interior side of the fuselage, wings and landing gear covers. Special Hobby has done an excellent job of not skimping in these areas.

I like how Special Hobby treated the fabric-covered control surfaces.. the stitching detail isn't overly exaggerated.

Given the amount of included resin and photoetch, it is somewhat surprising that Special Hobby does not give the modeler a choice when it comes to the instrument panel. But, it looks like a good result can be obtained by using the plastic instrument panels with the instrument faces represented by decals.

The clear parts exhibit some scratching (maybe not the manufacturer's fault since I bought this kit secondhand) and some distortion as well. I can fix the scratches but not the distortion, unfortunately.

Back to that Napier Sabre engine... the highlight of the kit for me is the beautiful representation of the Napier Sabre engine in resin. The resin components come in their own little box.

Inside the box, I found four separate baggies of resin parts, including this bad boy...

It is not a complete engine but nevertheless an impressive representation of the upper half of the Napier Sabre from the exhaust stacks on up. I don't normally like to model my aircraft with open panels but I'm going to make an exception for this one. This resin is just too beautiful to ignore.

Here are the contents of the next baggie full of resin. I'm not familiar with all of the parts yet but I think this bag contains mostly engine components including impressively long and complex lengths of hydraulic tubing. I believe the small block in the front are the four gun barrel tips.

This next bag contains some exterior components like the engine cover panels and resin versions of the wheels and pilot seat. Although the cover panels are very thin, I don't think they are meant to placed over the engine, which is actually fine by me.

The last baggy holds mostly cockpit components, by the look of it. I see foot pedals, a couple of different gun sights, the handle for the control stick, among other things. There has been breakage of a few delicate parts but nothing that will be noticeable or significant, I don't think.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk V

Post by jkim »

Gonna jump right into the deep end with this one! The engine! I have some thoughts and preliminary ideas about the engine but I think the most critical thing is how the engine fits into the fuselage. And there is no way to do that until we make the necessary cuts. So...

With the nose halves taped together, I've drawn the cut line just above where it should be to give me room to trim neatly down to the actual line of demarcation.

Razor saw made pretty quick work of the required surgery. You can see the panel line just below my cut line that I'll eventually have to get to.

The ironing board-shaped casting block extends along the entire bottom. I don't have the necessary cutting tools to deal with such a large block but cutting the tip off the ironing board was enough for preliminary testing.

With the front tip of the casting block removed, and some minor shaving of the fuselage interior right at the front, the engine block seems to slip into position pretty well.

I've not attempted fitting the radiator intake parts but I'm going to assume that removal of the engine casting block will be necessary for those parts to fit.

I performed this surgery right away to help answer a question that I have in the back of my mind: Do I consider using the Barracuda corrected cowling and spinner? How will the reduced diameter of the spinner and fuselage section at the forward end impact the placement of resin engine? Is it worth an attempt? At this point, my mind is saying no, don't bother but I'm going to sleep on it.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That is a very detailed engine! The entire kit looks really good too. If you have access to a bandsaw or a belt sander you can get rid of that pour plug in a few minutes.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I'm so definitely following this one. Of all the WW2 Hawked air rafts I have in myh stash, the Tempest is one I need to get.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Now John is going to the RAF! And with such a beautiful kit choice. That resin stuff for the motor is indeed very impressive. This project will be a real treat to follow.
:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

John, I hope you will consider adding this to the Hawkerlipse GB!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh, will be very interesting to follow this build:

Bring up some :popcorn:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Floki wrote:That is a very detailed engine! The entire kit looks really good too. If you have access to a bandsaw or a belt sander you can get rid of that pour plug in a few minutes.
Unfortunately, no access to any good power tools like that. However, I ordered one of these:

and will have it by Sunday. Gotta love Amazon Prime!

BlackSheep214 wrote:I'm so definitely following this one. Of all the WW2 Hawked air rafts I have in myh stash, the Tempest is one I need to get.
Yes, the Tempest is a cool aircraft and I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about during the build.

Stikpusher wrote:Now John is going to the RAF! And with such a beautiful kit choice. That resin stuff for the motor is indeed very impressive. This project will be a real treat to follow.
:popcorn:
Thank you Carlos! Yes, choosing a 1/32 RAF subject will be a good detour for me as the US F4U-1a build was. Plus it will be good to work on some internal detail that I am choosing, from the start, to have exposed.

jeaton01 wrote:John, I hope you will consider adding this to the Hawkerlipse GB!
So what is a GB and how is it different from posting a build in the Start to Finish forum?

KSaarni wrote:Wouh, will be very interesting to follow this build:

Bring up some :popcorn:

- Kari
Yes, please help yourself to some popcorn. This one may take a while!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Holy cow what a great looking resin engine! This’ll be a fun build to watch for sure!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

John, a GB is simply a group of builders doing model real aged to the topic or title, in this case Hawker aircraft. Easy-peas to join in. Just say so. Since you already have a WIP thread, I can move it to the group build area. It just keeps it all together and makes it easier.

Scroll down to Member Group Builds, open that area. There is a schedule of the GBs that have started and those that will be starting.

The one you are looking for for this is the “Hawkerlypse” group build.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”