Giving The Pony Another Go ... P-51D “Donald Duck.”

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
KennyX
Elite Member

Giving The Pony Another Go ... P-51D “Donald Duck.”

Post by KennyX »

Being honest- building up my Tamiya P-51 B made me really appreciate the aircraft. I went from never thinking twice about a Mustang to discovering all kinds of interesting details and nuances in the aircraft. There’s a lot to discover, there.

Anyway, I was laying here, recovering from today’s wisdom teeth extraction surgery and subsequent “Return into Earth’s Orbit” from that crazy anesthesia they put me under ... I mean HOLY COW! One moment the Doctor is telling me “I’m pushing a little something to take the edge off” and said “BANZAI! IV Benzodiazepines”! And he’s laughing and then just as that was kicking in the nurse is laying out this HORRIFYING looking tray of instruments and tools in front of me, and I’m looking at it, wide-eyed, saying “COOL!” and then POW! Next thing I remember my wife is helping me into the Chevy and she and she’s saying “No honey, you can’t go skateboarding when we get home.” “I’d strongly advise against that, Kenneth” adds the nurse.

So shoot, where was I going with this? Oh yeah- so I was laying here feeling all despondent and stuff, and decided to give the Mustang another go. Copped a Weekend Edition if the P-51D from Sprue Brothers for 27 bucks. Should be here later this coming week.

Here’s the marking option I’ll be doing, along with some reference photos:

All of the same rules will apply to this build as applied to Spare Parts.

Now, on the subject of Spare Parts, I did have a go at sanding the lower wing surfaces to re-paint. I quickly grew tired of doing that. It felt way too much like the ordeal I went through with Pip’s Emil and correcting the field-applied overspray. I have no desire or interest in completing that project.

That said, our dear friend John Kim gave me some excellent advice concerning how to handle the irregularities he spotted in the primer on the upper wing surface. I intent to level that out as best I can, Re-Prime, and then, instead of laying down Tamiya Gloss Black mixed with Gloss Clear, I’m going to lay down a lacquer gloss black instead, and then lay down Tamiya AS-12 on top of THAT to act as the “aluminum lacquer” instead of High Speed Siler and see how that looks there on a mule which has had its surface prepped versus on virgin plastic which is where I’d conducted all my experiments last time. Perhaps that’ll yield better results for going forward.

Maybe I’ll get an airplane project off the ground before Summer yet. Who knows!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Stikpusher

Re: Giving The Pony Another Go ... P-51D “Donald Duck.”

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s gonna be a nice one Kenny. I love the nose art!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I’m cautiously optimistic.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I'll be watching this! I know what you mean about what the dentist gives you. When I got my wisdom teeth out I remember sitting in the chair and him saying this will relax you. Next thing I know I'm waking up in my bed. My wife said she had to convince me I couldn't drive home.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Great nose art! looking forward to it.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Rookies. When I had my wisdom teeth out. I had some laughing gas, which is still good stuff, and proceeded to listen to him drill, crunch, and yank my teeth out for the next half hour.

Kenny, the subject you're doing. Don Emerson was an ace. KIA by ground fire when he was 21. A real man.

I'll definitely be watching this.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Great stuff Kenny,

I am really curious to hear your opinion of the Eduard P-51D.

Despite the fact it's a wonderful kit, great detailing etc... I just did not really get a connection with it.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Many thanks, my dear friends. Many thanks. Tempest and Kari, especially for y’all’s input. Knowing that about the pilot makes me want to redouble my efforts at solid, precise, quality construction as well as more practice with the paint. And Kari, I will detail every little thing here, just like I’m doing now with Black 1.

And the rest of the gang, I appreciate all of you. Sincerely. Thank you again!
Kenny X
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Can't wait to see the build Kenny!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”