Revell 1/72 F-102A - a real oldie

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stikpusher

Re: Revell 1/72 F-102A - a real oldie

Post by Stikpusher »

jeaton01 wrote:Easy! The F-102A is a stumpy little thing with fat cheeks and a big butt, and the F-106 is the sexiest of them all!

I spent many hours watching 106's come and go at Fresno Air Terminal, one of the benefits of being a charter pilot. Carlos' photo is of a Fresno Air Guard 106.
I think that I have a photo of one on ground display at Edwards AFB from one of the air shows there long ago. That is one show that I sure miss. The ground displays of aircraft were awesome.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Yeah, Edwards is a great show for ground display.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stikpusher wrote: The shape of the vertical tail, and the location of the intakes relative to the cockpit are the main ways to tell the difference between the two types. Plus the 102 looks a bit beefier while the 106 looks a bit more sleek overall.
Thanks Carlos, yes when you see them next to each other then there are very clear differences. The tail being a very good one, a triangle with sharp tip versus cut off tip.
jeaton01 wrote:Easy! The F-102A is a stumpy little thing with fat cheeks and a big butt, and the F-106 is the sexiest of them all!
:grin:

But that's a good memory rule; "one o six is sexy" and then the other one is the stumpy/shorter "one o two"

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I agree about Edwards AFB. My brother-in-law was stationed there some time back and it was always a thrill to see the aircraft there.

Yes, I built both of those aircraft (-102 and -106) in both 1/72 scale for myself, and in 1/48 scale for a friend of mine who was the senior Project Development manager for both aircraft. I still have my Dagger and Dart from before, and only recently (five years ago?) built a 1/72 scale F-106 in SEA camouflage colors.

Yeah, what great memories.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Personally I've always preferred the 106 as well - much nicer lines.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Ib to finishing up this one. ..

Got the nose area done. The anti-glare/non-slip areas on the inlets are decals I made up. Printed up a large square of solid black, created the outline on the Silhouette, and cut them. They settled in very well and even withstood some masking.

The modelling gods are having a good time today. The kit decals were obviously toast

So, I got some from a dude on ebay - MicroScale. No clue how old they were, but they looked okay.

Found out as soon as it hit water....

I love surprises! I've coated the sheet in the Microscale Industries Liquid Decal Film (by the way, you can't spray that stuff). Although it has never worked for me, what the heck. Nothing to lose.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Seller: Rebel Alpha on eBay
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks! Bruce. I ordered a set from them this morning.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, those decals sure shattered bad! Glad to see you got some better ones along the way.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Still no luck with the Liquid Decal Film. Never have. Anyway, the seller refunded the price of the decals. I had simply let him know what happened. Nice. Now, I'm going to cut some "star and bar" outlines to lay down the white background..curious to see how that works.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”