McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet Blue Angels, Hasegawa, 1/72

Post your completed aircraft here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet Blue Angels, Hasegawa,

Post by LyleW »

Stikpusher wrote:
Bolleken wrote:Back to the Blue Angels. I mixed enough for 2 Testors bottles and I have got a Blue Angels Phantom and a Skyhawks on stock. Don't know if they changed the blue during the years.
I’m fairly certain that the blue has been the same color for the entire timespan that the Blues have been in existence since shortly after WWII.
That is why you ca buy Blue Angels Blue and yellow.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Bolleken
Master Member

Post by Bolleken »

Well Carlos, I am not that sure that early planes had the same blue as today. FS15050 as often mentioned as Blue Angels blue might fit to a Panther but not for a Hornet. It is just to dark imo. I am not an expert for that, so I definitely might be wrong. I have read somewhere that the blue is a custom mixture and not a standard color.
So Lyle that's the reason why I haven't bought a Blue Angels blue off the shelf.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice job! Shiny blue birds - Seen them many times down here in San Diego.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Agreed! They look fantastic! I remember watching one of their practice sessions at Pensacola Naval Air museum. It was just like being at one of their shows, except for one thing: if the pilots didn't quite meet then standards of a particular stunt, they did it again. In our case, when they did the starburst maneuver where they later came screaming over the crowd at 200 feet off the ground at fulkl thrust, one pilot wasn't quite low enough. Yes, we got blasted a second time!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Completed Builds”