Aurora 1/48 Lockheed XFV-1

Post your completed aircraft here.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Aurora 1/48 Lockheed XFV-1

Post by jeaton01 »

I've been working on this one for a long time. I started with a glue bomb that was for the most part complete. I do have a unstarted kit, but since I wanted to make this one as accurate as I could it didn't seem appropriate to use up the collector kit, they are not very plentiful. Some parts were broken off such as several tail fins, some had broken off and were poorly repaired, and some of the casters on the tail fin were missing. I was able to break all the old glue joints without major damage and all the old paint was scraped off.

The changes were a cockpit, built up from an F-80 tub and various PE sets, and an ejection seat that I can't remember the source of that was somewhat modified to resemble what little I could see in pictures. I made a master for a vacuform canopy, and traded some decal work for a friend who made some nice canopies for me. The exhaust duct on the bottom was not represented in any way, and the fairing between it and the oil cooler inlet on the bottom was modified extensively , both areas done with plastic card and Epoxyclay. The engine air intakes were boxed in at the nose. There was a lot of filling and sanding on this one. There are still some areas that could benefit from more prep for the metal finish, but with my builds there always is. I console myself by muttering "perfection is the enemy of progress". I'll park a jeep or something in front of that area. The finish is Alclad 101 over a flat black finish that was buffed to a satin sheen. The cControl surfaces on the tail and the trailing edges of the wings were buffed with SNJ powder before the Alclad was set hard. The Spinner is ADC Grey and the tip pods are F-15 Dark Grey, both Model Master. The prop hub fairings are Alclad Magnesium.

All the decals were drawn up in Autocad and Corel Draw and printed on a laser printer except the prop logos which were done on an ALPS. The stars and bars were from decal spares, it's just easier. Masks were drawn up and cut on a Silhouette Cameo using Tamiya masking paper sheet. The 657 numbers were interesting because of the large curvature in that area of the nose, when the masks lay flat they get bigger as they progress forward. Windscreen masks were also made.

The last picture shows where some of my interest in building the XFV-1was created. Many years ago, a friend who is no longer with us built the Lindberg XFY-1 to a very high standard, and it needed some company.

The glue bomb:

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Aurora 1/48 Lockheed XFV-1

Post by tempestjohnny »

Excellent finish John. The Salmon in the last pic is awesome too
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Very cool John! Great to see you bring this old kit back to life.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Just beautiful! Well done.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Very nice overhaul of the old glue bomb! The end results are even more impressive when you look at the starting point! Bravo!!! :shoutout:

Side notes: I never realized that there were competing designs from Lockheed and Convair until seeing those two side by side here; both designs do show their family heritage, Convair with their new delta shapes, and Lockheed in the F-80 from a direct overhead above the cockpit. It’s always interesting to look at designs and see the aircraft company “family traits”.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

That's like Lockheed and the wing that they used through several aircraft. Why change what works?
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've seen that kit numerous times. A strange bird indeed. Looks like you have her a proper makeover. :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, everyone. I'm pleased to have it done and in the display case next to the XFY-1.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Very nice job. Super finish.
Thanks,
John
midnightprowler
Addicted Member