Academy 1/35th Warrior FV511

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Bish
Master Member

Re: Academy 1/35th Warrior FV511

Post by Bish »

Stuart wrote:I think the first time I applied, it was for 16 year old entry into the then 'Junior Leaders' into the Royal Armoured Corps (or it might have been the Artillery for JL - it was a long time ago :grin: ) - I think it was 1992, so not long after you. The last time I applied (I actually got as far as the selection weekend) it was 98. By then it was taking up to 6 months to process an application, and if you failed, you had to wait 12 months before you could re-apply. I tried for the REME as I'd already spent 3 years in collage doing a BTEC in Aerospace Engineering.
I am actually glad i didn't pass first time. I would have had to do JL as well and i really had always wanted to be in the Infantry. And 6 months training was much bettr than 2 years.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Stikpusher

Re: Academy 1/35th Warrior FV511

Post by Stikpusher »

Bish wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:So it sounds like you guys don’t just walk into the recruiters office and sign up.... :hmm:
O no, deffinetly not. You have to take a test, have a mdeical and if you pass everything, wait for the date to start your training. A friend of mine who joined up a couple of years before me had to go away for a 2 day selection process. But they had stopped that when i applied. They did bring it back after, the selection weekend Stuart made referance to. I think i must have been lucky, they must have been desperate by the time i signed up.

As i mentioned, took me 2 and a half months, thats pretty fast.
Yes, our process is similar, but no selection process. See the recruiter and sign initial “interest” paper work, then scheduled for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery testing. That test on various areas will dictate what areas the prospective recruit is qualified to train in. After ASVAB, a trip to the Military Enlistment Processing Station is next, where the prospect undergoes a medical physical, then meets with a service “counselor” for lack of a better term, who will, based upon ASVAB test scores, try to steer the prospect into career fields which have vacancies and the prospect qualifies for. My test scores qualified me for any duty with high scores in certain areas. They kept trying to steer me to signals intelligence slots- I wanted Infantry, an airborne ranger contract to be exact, but those were all full for the fiscal year. As were the airborne infantry contracts at the time of my enlistment. And I wanted to leave PDQ. So I settled for a basic infantry slot and was told I could volunteer for all the high speed stuff later on. Yeah right... At MEPS, background paperwork is also started. At the end of that day, if all goes well, one is “sworn in” and given a departure date for Basic Training, or in the case of Combat Arms soldiers, One Station Unit Training. which is where the recruit stays with the same training unit for their Advanced Individual Training in their Military Occupational Specialty. For Combat Support and Combat Service Support soldiers, Basic Training is usually at one post, and then AIT at another post elsewhere in the US depending upon their MOS. I actually had to do MEPS twice because I had a speeding ticket that I needed to take care of. Summer 1983... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”