British SAS LRDG

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Floki
Elite Member

British SAS LRDG

Post by Floki »

The Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) was a reconnaissance and raiding unit of the British SAS during the Second World War.
Originally called the Long Range Patrol (LRP), the unit was founded in Egypt in June 1940 by Major Ralph Alger Bagnold, acting under the direction of General Archibald Wavell. Bagnold was assisted by Captain Patrick Clayton and Captain William Shaw. At first, the majority of the men were from New Zealand, but they were soon joined by Southern Rhodesian and British volunteers, whereupon new sub-units were formed and the name was changed to the better-known Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). The LRDG never numbered more than 350 men, all of whom were volunteers.
The LRDG was formed specifically to carry out deep penetration, covert reconnaissance patrols and intelligence missions from behind Italian lines, although they sometimes engaged in combat operations. Because the LRDG were experts in desert navigation, they were sometimes assigned to guide other units, including the Special Air Service and secret agents across the desert. During the Desert Campaign between December 1940 and April 1943, the vehicles of the LRDG operated constantly behind the Axis lines, missing a total of only 15 days during the entire period. Possibly their most notable offensive action was during Operation Caravan, an attack on the town of Barce and its associated airfield, on the night of 13 September 1942. However, their most vital role was the 'Road Watch', during which they clandestinely monitored traffic on the main road from Tripoli to Benghazi, transmitting the intelligence to British Army Headquarters.
With the surrender of the Axis forces in Tunisia in May 1943, the LRDG changed roles and moved operations to the eastern Mediterranean, carrying out missions in the Greek islands, Italy and the Balkans. After the end of the war in Europe, the leaders of the LRDG made a request to the War Office for the unit to be transferred to the Far East to conduct operations against the Japanese Empire. The request was declined and the LRDG was disbanded in August 1945.

Before the war, Major Ralph Bagnold learned how to maintain and operate vehicles, how to navigate, and how to communicate in the desert. On 23 June 1940 he met General Archibald Wavell, the commander of the Middle East Command in Alexandria and explained his concept for a group of men intended to undertake long-range reconnaissance patrols to gather intelligence behind the Italian lines in Libya. General Wavell was familiar with desert warfare, having been a liaison officer with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force during the Great War and he understood and endorsed Bagnold's suggested concept. Wavell assisted in equipping the force.

The unit, initially known as the No.1 Long Range Patrol Unit (LRP), was founded on 3 July 1940. Bagnold wanted men who were energetic, innovative, self-reliant, physically and mentally tough, and able to live and fight in seclusion in the Libyan desert. Bagnold felt that New Zealand farmers would possess these attributes and was given permission to approach the 2nd New Zealand Division for volunteers; over half the division volunteered. Two officers and 85 other ranks including 18 administrative and technical personnel were eventually selected, coming mostly from the Divisional Cavalry Regiment and the 27th Machine-Gun Battalion. Once the men had been recruited, they started training in desert survival techniques and desert driving and navigation, with additional training in radio communications and demolitions.

The LRP could initially form only three units, known as patrols, but a doubling of strength allowed the addition of a new Heavy Section. In November 1940, the name of the LRP was changed to the "Long Range Desert Group" (LRDG), and the New Zealanders were joined by volunteers from British and Southern Rhodesian regiments. The British volunteers, who came mostly from the Brigade of Guards and Yeomanry regiments, were incorporated into their own patrols. The original patrol unit consisted of two officers and 28 other ranks, equipped with a Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) Ford 15 Imperial hundredweight (cwt) truck and 10 Chevrolet 30 cwt trucks. In March 1941 new types of trucks were issued and the patrol units were split into half-patrols of one officer and 15–18 men in five or six vehicles. Each patrol incorporated a medical orderly, a navigator, a radio operator and a vehicle mechanic, each of whom manned a truck equipped for their role.
All trucks of the LRDG were equipped with the Bagnold sun compass and some trucks were also equipped with a P8 Tank Compass. Each patrol had a navigator who always rode in the second truck in the formation. He was equipped with a theodolite and astronomical position tables with which to plot star sightings, and maps. Watches were used and adjusted each evening using the GMT time check. One major problem faced early on by the LRDG was a lack of accurate maps for Libya in particular. Patrols had to do their own surveys and make their own maps of each route they took. In July 1941 the Survey Section was formed to carry out this task.
The LRDG vehicles were mainly two wheel drive, chosen because they were lighter and used less fuel than four wheel drive. They were stripped of all non-essentials, including doors, windscreens and roofs. They were fitted with a bigger radiator, a condenser system, built up leaf springs for the harsh terrain, wide, low pressure desert tires, sand mats and channels, plus map containers and a sun compass devised by Bagnold. Wireless trucks had special compartments built into the bodywork to house wireless equipment.

So a few years ago I picked up a book at the local used book store, Osprey Desert Raiders: Axis and Allied Special Forces 1940-43
https://ospreypublishing.com/desert-rai ... es-1940-43
After reading this book it got me inspired to want to build a diorama showing the LRDG.

What I have to build.
1. Tamiyas British LRDG Command Car it is a Canadian Chevrolet 1533 X2 30 cwts. This kit also has the added bonus of including a figure set from Master Box
2.Dragon 1/4 Ton 4x4 Patrol Commander's Car or as we all know it as a Willys Jeep
3. Legend SAS Jeep Conversion set it comes with a ton of gear that will be needed since these vehicles were loaded down with as much supplies as they could hold.

Here is all the resin that comes in the Legend set.

The resin is all really nice with only a few pieces having a few pits in them.

Starting with the Jeep first thing I decided to build was the tires. Each sand tire is made of 5 parts and once are all cleaned up look excellent even better than the resin tires that come with the Legend set.

Started working on the frame next. After such a nice Dragon kit build with the 8rad this feels more normal with odd instructions and wrong part numbers being called out. Luckily the part count isn't that high so it's easy to find the correct part.

That's all I have for now, I hope you guys will enjoy this build.
SKOL!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Re: British SAS LRDG

Post by Stikpusher »

Great subject choices! I’m gonna enjoy watching this project!

Does the LRDG truck still come with rubber tires, or did Tamiya include some plastic ones? If it does, have a look for some AM tires. I used some by Hussar after the kit rubber tires split on my build.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

interesting subject...
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks guys! I really think this is a interesting subject too.
Carlos yeah it's the old rubber tires that are marked 1976

I will look into some AM resin tires for this.

Here is the Jeep tires, the more I look at them the more I like the tread pattern of the resin ones so I will probably end up using them.

The kit has a really nice engine it's a shame it will be hidden since I want to show the jeep with all the jerry cans stacked on the hood

This has been a really fast build, I'm already at the painting stage. It has been a rough build, I got this kit back in 2012 when it was released and I can't believe how much flash is on this kit. Also had to use PPP around the rear and the dash board area.

I'm going to put the subassemblies a side now and start on the Chevy Truck and build it up to the painting stage as well.

Thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Excellent idea for a build Floki - and one close to my heart as I had a great uncle that served with the SAS in WWII. I don't know a huge amount about his service, but I do know he was in North Africa, and that he died in Normandy a little while after D-Day. I like to think he was one of the guys charging around in a gunned up Jeep.

Great start, I'm looking forward to seeing more!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Stuart. The gentleman of the SAS are some true badasses. It's really awesome to hear you had a family member that was a part of this.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Floki, they certainly were a bunch of 'Characters'!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Nice idea for a build, should be fun to follow.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Glad to have you along Bish.

Got the Chevy truck built up and now it's also ready for paint. It's been awhile since I built a old Tamiya kit it has a lot of sink holes.

Thanks for looking in!
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »