Academy 1/35 M151A1

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: Academy 1/35 M151A1

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks guys!
LyleW wrote:did i read correctly that this scheme was from the 70s? It shows. awesome work on a short time frame! Looks great.
Yes sir, you read that right. That camo was work by US Army units in West Germany during the 1970s.
BlackSheep214 wrote:Fantastic build! Now dirty her up! :giggles: :lashed:
That’s coming soon. Decals first, then dirt... :grin:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is awesome Carlos! I wish I could finish some of my current models this quickly! I keep having my time taken away... :headslap:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I hearts Mark. Especially at this time of year, there are so many things competing for your time. Good seeing you tonite, even if briefly, at the AMPS Zoom meeting.

Today’s progress update:
During the week, I airbrushed on a coat of Future in preparation for decals. This morning I broke out my ancient Superscale US Armor markings decal sheet - it’s basicly national stars in various sizes, plus two sizes of letters and numbers. The smaller size barely fit on the bumpers. For a 30+ year old decal sheet, they cooperated well enough, but took a long time to lift free from the backing paper. I also used the kit decals for the dash, and some decals from my spares for the serial number, black stars, and red reflector tape squares.

I went with the CO’s jeep for Echo Troop, 2nd ACR.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

The black stars look really good on this camo scheme. Also the red and black Jerry can, can't say I've seen them in that color before but my knowledge of post Korea stuff is limited.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Clint. Personally I think that the scheme “as is” would have been very useful in multiple settings worldwide without changing any colors, unlike MERDC or NATO Tri Color. Not too dark, and not too light. And the black stars are a cool touch... it says “USA!”, combat camo style.

The Jerry can is actually OD, but a darker shade. And with the gloss coat, it looks even darker. As far as the red top goes, that was something done in the Army to indicate the can was to be filled with “MOGAS” aka motor gasoline. Yellow was used for Diesel cans. If the can had a painted top, it was never to be used with water. Jerry cans with oil just had the oil weight stenciled on, 10 wt or 30 wt.

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Very nice build Carlos!

Indeed, as Clint mentioned above, those black stars look very good on this camo!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

This thing is coming along VERY nicely Carlos. It's the touches like decals and details that make a build seem to come to life.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks guys. Joe, you’re very right. I’m not used to data placards and instrument decals on vehicles as decals in a kit. Especially the instrument gauges. They do give that proper realistic look in that area. And it’s much easier than painting them with the stuff in the way.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's excellent work Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”