Heller 1/35 Somua S35, 18e Dragoons, May 1940

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Heller 1/35 Somua S35, 18e Dragoons, May 1940

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:
Stuart, in May1940 it’s not that the French didn’t try. They were simply outfought. They took a serious amount of battlefield casualties of killed and wounded in that month. They lost approximately 90,000 KIA and 200,000 WIA during the campaign. I know that we all like to joke about it, but that’s not the sign of an army that surrendered without a fight.
Hi Carlos, Obviously I meant it in jest, with a large underline under the word jest - you know me, I've a huge amount of respect for the normal fighting man, no matter where they came from or when in history.

I've read a lot about the Battle of France, as it's the early part of the war that interests me the most. I do fully agree, they tried but they got their arses kicked. What's interesting is that on paper they really shouldn't have, unlike the BEF they had arguably better tanks than the Germans and decent modern weapons and aircraft. the way I see it, what let them down (and isn't it always the case) was outdated tactics and poor leadership. The fact that the British forces didn't suffer the same fate was just down to shear bloody luck, quick planning and a fair amount of courage.

That being said, their was an air of defeatism within a lot of their forces before the end and, 'Free French Forces' aside, I would think that the British experience of the French during the war was pretty sour at times, especially if you consider that we ended up fighting a few battles against them.

Anyway back to the build, awesome work as I said, I especially like how you used Mr Surfacer to add texture.

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, I hear ya on all that, and know that you’re original remark was in jest. I have said plenty of the same sort of remarks myself. I just wanted to put the info out there for any of our members who were not so read up on the Battle of France and the Low Countries in 1940.
You mention the “on paper” part, and this vehicle exemplifies that. On paper this vehicle was equal to or superior to its’ medium panzer opponents of the Mk. III, and MK. IV. The Somua had better armor and firepower, and was on par in mobility, the three main elements of tank design. But it was handicapped by the crew layout, with an overtasked commander who had to also operate the gun in addition to commanding the tank. Not to mention an outdated doctrine. But the design was studied by a pre 1940 US Army delegation, and some of its influences (cast hull and turret, dual use medium velocity gun) can be seen in the design of the tank that arguably won the war in the West, The M4 Sherman.
Ah well, enough history talk for now. I get carried away with it sometimes... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:... The M4 Sherman.
Ah well, enough history talk for now. I get carried away with it sometimes... :whistle:
Nothing wrong with a good bit of History Carlos, and I have to say I didn't know that about the development of the Sherman... :hmm: And it has given me an idea for the Tamiya GB if it goes ahead...

mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I commented on that little gem in the build thread, but have to add here that you've made some gread additional pictures of it!
Regarding the discussion: One of the big factors that broke the French Army's neck was the outdated communication system. While the Germans used pretty up to date radios to guide and move their troops on the field, the French still relied on mounted messengers to bring the news across. Ar best they had motorcycles. Every time a position report reached the French brass, the enemy had already moved several miles.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Torben. Yes, the French Army command of 1940 was fighting the war with a 1918 mindset. Their lack of mobile field communications was a major factor in their defeat.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

You're quite right, communication wasn't a strong point either. Communication between the French, British and Belgians was poor also.

At the end of the day though, even if the Allies did have better tactics, leaders and communication at the time, it would have still been a hard fight - the Wehrmacht knew their stuff.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Stik!!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks again Mike, I do appreciate your kind words!

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Great build of such an old kit. It really shows that in the hands of a skilled modeller every kit can become a great model. :P1:
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:Great build of such an old kit. It really shows that in the hands of a skilled modeller every kit can become a great model. :P1:
Well said!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”