1/72 Norman Motte and Bailey Castle

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/72 Norman Motte and Bailey Castle

Post by Stuart »

Oh the shame - Quite frankly I should delete this thread…

So my grand idea of a sculpted clay base with a nice Motte and some ditches died a death. The damn airdry clay kept cracking after 24 hours – this was the THIRD attempt.

So having lost most of the weekend arsing about with this and running out of time (it has to be in on Wednesday) we went down the Paper and paste method – Crude but at least we had something.

Annoyingly – because the Motte is now half the size we’d intended, it also meant that the building we’d constructed we too all too big – so we’ve had to modify them quite a bit.

So we will get something together – but it’ll be a lash-up and not as good as we’d intended, but what started as a bit of fun, has no turned into a royal PITA – I’m just looking forward to getting it over and done with so I can get back to the Saturn V.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Oh no !!

That is really sucks, to say it mildly.

I am nevertheless sure you will make a good motte and castle in the end!

Thumbs up!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

Yes, thats an experience you dont want to have. The secret is: several THIN layers, otherwise there will be lots of tension. Learned it the hard way too.

But:

Good solution with the newspapers. When they look too rough, try wood glue/fine sand mixture and you dont see nothing of the newspaper and have a very "earthy" surface. Again thin layers is the solution here. If it takes too long, you can speed it up with a hairdryer. Carefully, of course.
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

I second the white glue/sand mix. In my experience it works best on a base with a similar color.
ImageImageImageImageImage
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

Sand + washing looks good, but Tamiya Buff or similar will do it too.
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ah yes... :hmm: School projects.... I was so happy when my children aged out of that phase... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

thanks for the advice on the landscaping - I'll try that next time I do something like this - as it is I painted it green and then used PVA glue and Flock.
Stikpusher wrote:Ah yes... :hmm: School projects.... I was so happy when my children aged out of that phase... :whistle:
Tell me about it - i love how the school's just assume you have everything in order to do this kind of stuff :puzzle:

Well as it is we completed it last week and got it in on time - it ended up being a real team effort with my daughter, my wife and myself all pitching in on the construction and painting - I mainly did the figureing out how to build it...

Here it is in all it's non-1/72 scale glory - it's not what I had in mind when I started but it was my daughters project so we'll leave it at that - she's happy with it so that's all that matters. Maybe not a model as such, but more a craft project.

It has given me a taste for doing this kind of work though, and I can see a future project where I'll try and do something a bit more 'model' like on a larger scale - I think it could be fun.

Regards

Stuart

p.s. - oh and she won first prize with it!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

That actually looks pretty good. Now that you've got the figures in the mail, time for you to build another proper Norman Motte and Bailey Castle.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is excellent! I like it very much; your daughter has every reason to be proud. Congrats on the First Place for her. That is awesome. You should get a shot of the First Place ribbon next to this castle.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Between the setback of the clay cracking and the deadline I think you did a pretty good job. Congratulations to your daughter on winning the first price.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”