Neuschwanstein Castle Finished

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Neuschwanstein Castle Finished

Post by Fermis »

Guess this is the best spot for this one....something different!!!

On our trip to Germany, last year, we visited Neuschwantein Castle. The wife absolutely loved the place, along with the rest of Germany. I came across an old WIP thread of Doogs, where he built this model. I didn't know there was a model. GREAT idea for a Christmas gift! I scoured the web for the kit. The cheapest one I could find was the "deluxe edition" from Doyusha. "Deluxe" mean chrome plated parts...all the roofing and the gate house were plated. I hate that stuff.

On the road to the castle...

The kit...

The more ref pics I look at, the harder this is for me. LOTS of accuracy issues. The biggest issue, for me, is the the buildings are made of stone, so there's a lot of texture...the kit is just smooth. I considered scribing it...and had I started this thing a few months ago, I probably would scribe it all...not now though. I did do some scribing and texturing on the stone walls/rails around the base though.

I scribed in he stones and textured em with a bit of CA.

Buildings are built...some ill fits all around.

Started painting the gate house. So far, the only bit that's done is the brick. I mixed up a "brick red" base layer, then mixed other colors with it to "pick out" some brick and make look a little more bricky!

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Neuschwanstein Castle

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow!! Looking good, Fermis!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I'm sure there is a AM-set with a few thousand litte Japanese armed with selfie-sticks. :lashed:

Great idea for a christmas gift, she'll love it! Are you going to throw some bushes on the slopes? Think some cheap railway stuff will do the job.

Last year me and my kids visited castle Eltz, the oldest castle in Europe that's still occupied by its builder family (since 13th century). You have to walk for half an hour from the parking lot to get there, so much less tourists there. Insider tip!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

:giggles: Mini Japs w/ sefie sticks!!! :giggles:

I was a bit surprised, there was not an overload of tourists. Nothing like it was, when I lived in Hawaii!

I will be adding quite a bit to the base...bushes, trees, ground cover, and even going to try making some rocks, for the rocky outcrops.

Work continues...

Did some rough painting on the base. Painted up the stone walls and gave em a wash. Buildings are all painted...other than the detail/weathering of the roofs. Gotta gloss and wash as well.

Nothing is glued down yet.

Notice the distinct difference in colors on the towers of the gate house...

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Your wife is gonna love this
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

tempestjohnny wrote:Your wife is gonna love this
She better!!!
I told her that if she didn't..."I'm gonna burn this F'n house down"!!!

This thing is a bit frustrating....just a LITTLE!
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

One more thing about this that was bugging me, was the "patio" areas. These areas are molded flat with a rough texture...like asphalt or concrete. The lower area, just inside the gate house had square pavers/cobbles in a stacked bond pattern. Easy enough to scribe that in. The upper area had much smaller cobble stones, in a swirl/arched pattern....NO WAY! I just scribed the same stacked bond pattern as the lower area. Painted and dark "washed".

The buildings are pretty much finished. The roofs were painted black, then semi-drybrushed with dark grey, light grey and a mix of medium grey/Russian topside green. Dark wash on those as well. May do a bit with some pastels later.

I'm still debating on painting the paintings on the front side of the main building. I have yet to find a really good picture of them to refer to...I haven't really been looking for it yet either, though.

I'll be adding...or at least attempting to add some of the rocky outcrops around the base. My first attemp came out pretty good, as far as the mold went...

Problem is, I used light weight hydrocal. Not completely useless, but it came out really "chalky" and I have doubts about staying put. So...I went with regular plaster for #2. Four hour later...still wet...trash. Went to the hardware store and got a new batch of plaster. This time, rather than filling up all the spots completely, I made more, smaller rocks, and rounded off the backs of them so that they will be a better fit to the contours of the base.

Should be good to go now!

mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

This :quotes: rocks :quotes: ! :giggles:
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

A man of many talents.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Donkeyshorts! (that's German for "thank you"!....right???)

I used some CA to glue the "rocks" to the base.

At this time, I think it looks pretty dumb...but, carry on.
There was a lot of gaps between the rocks and the base, so I whipped up some more plaster to fill those in a bit, plus help to solidify the rocks to the base.

On to painting. I started with a black base, then worked with shades of brown - tan. Based off a pic I found. It looked pretty good. Then I looked at some more pics, along with pics of the surrounding rock/mountain...seems to be a lot more grey. So, back to the paint booth, and this is what I have...

As of now, this is just paint...no washes or weathering.

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”