Joe's Auto Garage-Coke Machine-10/25

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
mustang1989

Joe's Auto Garage-Coke Machine-10/25

Post by mustang1989 »

I'm entering this build in a competition in another forum but thought I'd post it here just to spread the fun a little bit. I needed something to show some progress of my automotive builds anyways. I don't know how far I'll go with it but we'll start basic and see what happens.

I started off with this Antique Garage Set and really don't know what I was expecting but the wood floor looks too new and the side walls were the same way. All laminated card stock. :headslap: I know better. Anyways , here's the garage kit:

and then we'll throw a few shop tools in from this kit:

I'll be replacing the useless flooring in this kit with some fancyfied tile and some updated walls. The tile that'll be cut down to fit the base without all that "foo-foo" border of course.

Last edited by mustang1989 on Sun May 07, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: Joe's Auto Garage

Post by Thomas_M »

So, the first box gives you just the floor and walls, while the second set gives you the tools and stuff?
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

When it comes to car models I'm not a big fan of curbside. I like workshop scenes and ripped open race cars.

So I'm absolutely in!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thomas: Yeah that's the way they come but they sure do manage to pack a lot of stuff in those two boxes.

Mostrich: I feel the same way about curbside auto models. It's true that most everybody likes a good ol' muscle/ performance car but it's also true that most of the same people like to see "what's under the hood". Good interior work is also a plus. I feel the same way about aircraft though. Open 'em all up is what I say. lol
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Technically this is cheating but I'm making a change or so to it. I picked this tool box up from Ebay:

However I did NOT like the molded in tools and I'm not a big fan of a "hutch" installed on the tops of these style of boxes. To begin with the kit supplied tool box I 1.) don't like that style of box and 2) it aint a Snap-On box and 3.) I cannot stand those molded in tools as it looks waaaay cheap. I like the "taco wagon" style boxes so this was the only one I saw that was a Snap-On box so I set out to make a change. I cut the hutch off and sanded the top of the box smooth so one couldn't tell there was ever a hutch there to begin with.

I'll be placing a laptop on the top of the box along with a bag and drink from a local burger joint to start with. I may put a tool or two on top as well. I might place either a mat or a stainless steel top on it too. I'll see what I can come up with........
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Maybe on cars, but not necessarily on aircraft models for me. I once have seen a 1/48 Heinkel He 219 night fighter build by a pro, with all panels and stuff open. For me, the aircraft has lost all his shape, his clean lines. But that´s just me, maybe.
mustang1989

Re: Joe's Auto Garage-Progress--05/07

Post by mustang1989 »

I hear ya Thomas. When I built my Stuka I wanted to open up the engine compartment and show off the detail in there but I had that snake motif down the sides and it just wouldn't have looked good all opened up especially with the nose panel off. The snake's head would have not been there on the sides of the aircraft.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Ah, cool. I am evesdroppin' on you folks talk about showing / not showing the interiors off on planes and cars and such... very useful to me in my current state. I am going to go quiet now, but I am following along with you! Cheers, bud.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks potna!

I just ordered my Burgers and Fries for the top of the tool box on down the road:

Can be viewed here: https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/sel-36005.htm
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Getting hungry... :beau:

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”