Academy T-34-85 Korea War Vignette 1/35 scale

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Stikpusher

Re: Academy T-34-85 Korea War Vignette 1/35 scale

Post by Stikpusher »

The lower set would be more appropriate. The camo uniforms on the dog handlers were pretty much out of service in Korea. Although only one of those guys has a pose that seems to be a good match for the scene. You may want to see if any resin Marine figures might suit your project.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Agree, Stikpusher. Only the canvassed helmets with camo were still being used. I think the uniform were of single olive green color but some faded and were used in the uniform mix. These are I think colorized examples.

Stikpusher wrote:The lower set would be more appropriate. The camo uniforms on the dog handlers were pretty much out of service in Korea. Although only one of those guys has a pose that seems to be a good match for the scene. You may want to see if any resin Marine figures might suit your project.
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Assembling The Figures
I made a sketch of how the figures were going to be placed in the vignette. I did a few scenarios where the Marine with the war dog was actually leaving the scene, but then I scratched that. I also played around with adding a Willy's jeep. that also went into the bin too. In total there are six (6) figures that I will place on the vignette, three on the T-34 and 3 others on the ground, plus one dog.

Figure 1, on the tank
This figure came from the MasterBox kit. I took the head off and inserted a Hornet head in its place. I modified the arms and hands so that he is leaning forward looking into one of the opened hatch. The primer was Tamiya Surface Primer (white) which I cut it with Mr. Leveling Thinner.

I used Tamiya acrylics for the base coat, sprayed with an airbrush. the uniform was XF-58 Olive Green. Belts, gear, webbing and was XF-49 Khaki, shoes XF-1 Flat Black, skin tone XF-15 Flat Flesh, hair XF-10 Flat Brown. This would be the standard for all of my figures.

Further painting I used artist oils and Tamiya enamel paints to modify the basic colors to create highlights and shadows. I used Tamiya enamel thinner to cut the artist oils.

I have a few collection of artist oil tubes, notably from Winsor, Pebeo, Greco, Daler Rowney which I picked up a few here and there when I visited the art store.

For the mix on the the clothes, my prefered choices are these which I mix with Tamiya enamels.
  • - Lamp Black
    - Burnt Sienna
    - Brunt Umber
    - Titanium White
    - Yellow Ochre
For the skin mix, my selection includes these which I apply straight onto the surface, let it dry for a few days and paint again.
  • - Flesh Tint
    - Venetian Red
    - Burnt Sienna
    - Titanium White
    -
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Figure 2, Cinema and Photographic Unit Soldier, on Tank
This would the the person seeing with lots of bags, a still camera and an "Eyemo" motion picture camera.

A great reference on how the viewfinder camera was slung and the size of the "Eyemo"

A nice group photo for references on the camera, pose, and web gears

Again, the actual MasterBox figure was modified in the legs, arms and hand to give the figure the posture of resting on the turret, while holding the camera in one hand. The head was swapped with Hornet heads.

I used the tube of a discarded 1/48 rocket launcher for the Eyemo's body and made the rest from bits of pieces of styrene tubes and plates. Waldron Punch and Die set was indispensable in creating this camera.

In process picture of the figure. currently in the state where it just had been painted over with some artists oil on the trousers.

A more progressive state off the figure. The skin tone, webbing gear and other parts have been extensively painted with artists oils.

How the painted figure is placed on the tank, resting on the turrent while it tries to look into the commander's hatch. The Eyemo main body was painted with Mr. Color No. 28 Steel and then given Mr Color No. 8 Silver for the lenses.
Monty / dmminiatures
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Excellent work on those figures!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Thanks Stikpusher!
Stikpusher wrote:Excellent work on those figures!
Monty / dmminiatures
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Exquisite work on the figures! The Eyemo is in itself a fantastic model! What an incredible job of work recreating the camera equipment and bringing all the pieces together so superbly!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

The Marine on Guard Detail
The third figure is of a Marine doing guard detail, standing next to the burnt out tank. They way I approach in brush painting figures is by doing them one by one.... and not painting them all at once. Airbrushing the base coat is still OK just for being efficient on the paint. but for paint brushing, I prefer doing it one by one. I feel that I can control my focus better. I feel that I have more time for each of them.

This figure came from the MiniArt war dog box. And the pose is original from the box, except for the Hornet head. The problem with the heads from the Miniart box is that they are too wide, and looks old, and all has a very neutral and placid look. The Hornet head is the complete opposite.

In-progress of the figure. I have started the artist oil paints on the uniform but not the skin color.

Progress on the skin color painting.

This is after I added the helmet and shotgun. Everything is still glossy from the airtist oils. which is almost dry to the touch. this has been a few days being left to dry.

The helmet is from Miniart and the shape looks off. Later on I added straps to make it more interesting. The figure is complete and is shy from a good weathering (adding some mud scruff on the lower trousers) and flat coat.
Monty / dmminiatures
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Don’t forget to paint his boots/shoes brown. Black combat boots did not come into service until after Korea.

FLSM
lawman56
Advanced Member

Post by lawman56 »

I love this! At one time I had been retained to build a dio depicting the "Battle of the Bowling Alley", near Taegu, for the CSM of the 73rd Cav at Ft. Bragg. What I found interesting was that it involved T34/85s vs M26 Pershings. Sadly, the CSM got transferred before he could allocate the funds and the new CSM. Didn't care about unit history. Your work has re-stoked those coals.
Joe

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”