1/24 Studio Scale TIE Fighter, Black 2, Vader's Wingman

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/24 Studio Scale TIE Fighter, Black 2, Vader's Wingman

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:Stuart & Mike,

I read the books and novellas for The Expanse, and I have seen the series many times. The Expanse is thoughtful and carefully crafted show. I think once the promise of “Humanity’s Gold Rush” was fulfilled in season four the series (and the books) lost momentum, fell back upon a “Big Bad” from amongst the Belters, killed off two of my favorite series regulars (different plotting from the books). Basically after the ring gates opened, I was hoping for Range Wars similar to the “expansion” of the US West. Instead the series will wrap up with where the Belt will be—who will lead the Belt forward, and will tensions between Earth, Mars and the Belt finally resolve. I still care very much for the crew of the Rocinante and I feel they should take that final ride into the sunset now that they have saved so many people.
]
You've pretty much nailed how I feel Bruce - I was really surprised in the last series how they barely mentioned anything beyond the gate - I think it was hardly featured. It doesn't help that three of my four favourite characters are now dead - Miller, Ashford and Alex.

I started to read the first book last year but got side-tracked into something else - are they worth sticking with?
speedgraflex wrote:
That was a fascinating video and has opened my eyes somewhat. I know what he made was relatively simple - but it looked awesome, and working from a photo like that wow!

It does make me think about that pile of styrene I have... :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Watching Addam, you learn where the term gredly (sp?) came from and what part # and tree to use on the Star Destroyer.
I saw the episode in 19 when he was doing "Salvage Builds" series. Fun watch.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I believe the term is "greebly", but don't quote me on it.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

You're correct. Thanks.

"A greeble or nurnie is a prominent detailing added to the surface of a larger object that makes it appear more complex, and therefore more visually interesting."
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, what a fascinating discussion this was to read. Despite having read "Dune" I still feel a bit behind from everyone here. I haven't seen "The Expanse" but I did meet one of the main characters at San Diego Comicon. I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he played a role on Leverage once, so I walked up to him and said "Hello Mr. _________, great to meet you." And he recognized the name ad told me the hilarious story around the costume he was given to wear.

Anyway, I also saw the video and I'm feeling a bit too insecure about scratchbuilding like he does, despite how easy he makes it look. So I really haven't much of a story to add to this. Still, it is always thrilling to follow these kind of discussions among such incredible people as here. I've never seen such a Thread anywhere since the days of the old LEM.

Keep it coming guys!

And John, even though you may not like space cowboy shows; my all time favorite space cowboy show was "Firefly". I could never get enough of that! I've even read almost every graphic novel written extending the series. I just wish they would continue the story they led up to at the end of "No Power in the 'Verse"...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I hope to get this started in June. I have to find a small workshop space where I can sand without worrying about a landlord or neighbors. I talked with my buddy Matt on Friday about using his area which he will let me use after he cleans it up. Meanwhile I have to find a small something to work on while I wait out the rest of the month. I’m not sure what that will be, either something I started and stopped or something new that is sitting around. I am letting the “steam” build back to work on the Fokker, which would be the logical choice.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I'm so excited to see you start on this!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Very good Bruce. One place you can sand to your heart's content is the Hall at Hobby Day. In fact, We will even be starting to open on Monday evenings now too. Just a thought to give you more options. I look forward to seeing more of this later.

EDIT: Monday May 31st is the first Monday Hobby Day, but it will be at a new location: Harmon's house in Anaheim starting at 5:00PM. It won't replace the Hall, but he is opening up his house for anyone who wants extra time with his hobby. He won't mind the sanding dust either. If you want to make it, let me know and I'll send you the address.

Just a thought.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Floki wrote:I'm so excited to see you start on this!
Me too. In my mind I started on it when the box arrived with the pieces inside. I know I am going to be sanding a lot of surfaces. Matt and I tried 80 grit on a flat section. We were both impressed by how tough the finish is.
Duke Maddog wrote:Very good Bruce. One place you can sand to your heart's content is the Hall at Hobby Day. In fact, We will even be starting to open on Monday evenings now too. Just a thought to give you more options. I look forward to seeing more of this later.

EDIT: Monday May 31st is the first Monday Hobby Day, but it will be at a new location: Harmon's house in Anaheim starting at 5:00PM. It won't replace the Hall, but he is opening up his house for anyone who wants extra time with his hobby. He won't mind the sanding dust either. If you want to make it, let me know and I'll send you the address.

Just a thought.
Those are good thoughts, Mark.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I've also seen people use cabinet scrapers for knocking down print lines.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”