Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat U-552

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Bish
Master Member

Re: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat U-552

Post by Bish »

So, when i had got to the stage above a couple of weeks ago, i had planned starting on the oil canning that weekend. Didn't quite work out like that. I spent the best part of a week, starting at the front and going along one side and then repeating on the other, blending in the edges of the PE and cleaning up where i had filled flood holes and other bits. Going the check pieces was tricky as it mean filling PE and trying not to lose rivet detail. But it feels and loks like it has paid off and i think its created an oil canning effect at the same time.

Still need to fix the 2 drain holes at the front.

The PE sections above the saddle tanks were removed and re-fitted. These stuck out to much so i cleaned and filed down the plastic creating a shelfe for the PE to sit into making it flush. I also removed all of the rib detail and replaced it with thicker sheet styrene. I had used the thinnest one i had, but this was just not strong enough and kept coming away. So i recut and replaced all of the ribs and its holding fine now.

And then on Wed i finally got to the oil canning. Its taking longer then i thought, the pic below is after 3 nights. I am doing one section atb a time, running the curved blade down it and then useing small round sanding sticks to clean it up and get a nice curve. At first i could not see the effect, and you can't really see it in the pic, but when i turne my bench light off, the shadow create by the room light showed off the curves and i think its working out well.

I have managed to get these done with 1 blade but its starting to dull now so will have to replace it.

As well as the drain holes at the front, i also need to fix these at the bow underneath. These are both on the starboard side, the port side is fine.

And i also have the inside of the tower painted. My referance said the inside of the 552's tower was either black or dark grey. There is one pic were you can see the inside of the tower as well as the railing around the rear and the wave deflector part way up the tower. We know the deflector is black on top, and to my eye this looke to be the same as the tower and railings, so i opted for black. I have also given it a gloss coat prior to some light weathering.

My main focus with this now is to finish the oil canning. But i do need to get on with my 262 as well as a Stuka for the CAS GB. So i plan on working on those 2 and spend about 30mins per evening doing the oil canning. Hopefully by the time the aircraft are down, the hull should be ready for the final touches.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

That's some great work Bish!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bish, if you haven’t seen this article, it’s a great reference source on U-Boat colors. It also touches on surface vessels as well.

https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/u-boat_colo ... otos_5.pdf
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks Medic.

Carlos, ye, i have that as part of a collection of articles Dougie released on AMP. under the title Wolf Pack. The collection includes a detailed build of this kit by Wink Grise. He and Dougie are the guys who produced the U-Bras set which replaces the scheck pieces as well as all the free flooding vents. There is a total of 7 article in the set, includeing the colours and markings one plus Wink's build. Brilliant info, especially the info need for certain boats.

Dougie now has a second one which includes details for doing a type IX. But its base around the Revell late type IX U-505 kit rather than the more recent early version. So i am hoping theres a revision released that covers that kit.

I am going to edit my first post and add the link for those articles for anyone who may be interested.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”