Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

"Fighters of the Reich," which will include ALL aircraft served and designed (missed production, aka Luft 46) of the Luftwaffe during WWII.
mostrich
Admin

Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

Post by mostrich »

I'm in with a bird out of the family called "Cracticidae".

The plane I'm trying to repicate is the white double chevron of Hauptmann (Captain) Egon Mayer in the spring of 1943. He was Group Commander of the III./JG 2 at that time and his rudder showed 62 kills.

Kit of choice is the Eduard Weekend Edition (just an euphemism ;) ) along with loads of AM.

Most of it was purchased after I started the build. Here's the complete list:
  • Pilot Seat Ultracast
  • PE Set Eduard
  • Tail / Vertical Stabilizer Department of Correction
  • Bottom Fuselage Panel Department of Correction
  • Prop & Spinner Ultracast
  • Wet Transfer Decals HGW Models
  • "In Defense of the Reich vol.1" Decals Eagle Cals
  • Brass Gun Barrels Master
  • Canopy Rob-Taurus
Started with the wings. Some effort is needed to put the weapon bay covers where they belong.

Eduard missed to mention two basic parts in the instructions - I3 and I7. They're marked as not used :?:

Some sideshow modelling. Why's the Quickboost cowling not mentioned in the AM list? Cause it ended as a "Quickbin Fouling"

I'll be back in a minute...
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
mostrich
Admin

Re: Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

Post by mostrich »

The edges of the shell outlets were thinned out. Due to the dihedral of the wings an improvement is visible.

Some PE parts found their way into the wheel well.

The resin tail from DoC shows the same engravings like the kit parts, but the front edge is more narrow and the shape of the tail wheel well is corrected.

Overall fit is very good. Contact runs along a seam (pic below).

Not to forget the CP. Added some pipes and a case for the pilots maps.
Replaced the MG17 barrels with some brass from Master - love their stuff!

The following update shows some headache causing issues. But first I need a little break.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

The CP went together like a dream and I'm happy with the outcome. Colours are Gunze RLM66 in two shades, drybrushing with Vallejo medium grey and a varnish out of Vallejo flat and semi gloss in a ratio of 1/2.

After that small success this kit really tried to fight me. I had to pull out some special moves like jacky chan was a modeller.
Sanded down the width of the cockpit until the bulkheat firewall showed no gaps to the fuselage halves anymore. When I tried to glue in the weapon bay floor, its rear wall and the firewall as a preassembled component I realized that the instrument panel is a tad to far in front. This collision caused a complete misfit of all parts in the front of it. To get rid of that problem without touching the finished cockpit I gut the upper part of the firewall assembly, shortened the weapon bay floor and glued them in separately.

Next time I won't follow the instructions by preassembling these parts in 90 degree angles to each other. All you get are nasty gaps and misalignment (white arrows).

The next headache-causer was the Quickboost cowling. :evil: I put some rude words in my pocket and just share these pictures with you.

I didn't want to lose the big advantage of the QB-part: The molded in exhaust tips. So I cannibalized the resin and glued them into the kit part (which suits like a glove to the fuselage I dare say).

A bit of milling was required to give the Master brass barrels some space.

More to come soon...
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Great work here. That cockpit is killer real. Bummer about the Quickboost cowling. Have you tried the resin update set from Karaya?
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thanks Nathan!
Yes, I do have the Karaya set for the A-8 / F-8 in my stash but didn`t build it yet.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

My PE-saw was guided by a strip of Dymo Tape to cut out some space for the bottom fuselage cover. Had to remove the base for the loop antenna that wasn't found on A-5s. Fit of the part is very well.

For those who may ask what's it all about with this cover: In the handbooks of the Fw 190 are drawings who show an overview with all the hatches and covers of the fuselage. To the left for the early production series (D. (Luft) T. 2190 A-2, A-3, A-4), to the right the middle production series (D. (Luft) T.2190 A-5 / A-6 Teil 0). Under point 21 the Deckel für Unterschale (Bottom Fuselage Cover) is shown. Eduard missed to engrave this cover on their mid production 190s.

For the engine installation I followed Eduards advice.
Another sensitive point is the engine mount installation. In this point, find the exact position of the part K18 on the reverse (inside of the fuselage) side of the part H12 (wheel well). K18 fits exactly to the notch in the H12. If you glue K18 carefully to the given position, the engine block will easily assume the correct position when it is glued to the engine mount.

Sanded down the tips of the cylinders before painting the engine. That paid off in smooth fit of the engine between lower fuselage and cowling.

Starts to looks like a nice little airplane to me.

Some care for the gear - lead wire and strips of tape. The PE set includes the brake lines but I don't like the two dimensional look. Used them as guideline for bending, though.

Next will be some sanding for a smooth surface and then some primer will fill the air around her.

Thanks for watching and see you soon,
Torben
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Thats right, I forgot the Karaya set is just for the -8s.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Jeeez!! And you were complimenting me on my surgery?? This is a cool build man!!! Really cool!!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I can lend you some :evil: words if you need them..... :roll:

You are a master at reworking these things. Wow, I don't know what else to say.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you, gents!

A Revi C/12 is a very small thing if shrinked 48 times. Barely managed to apply two different colours on it. Upper part of the IP along with the "sun shield" was also installed. Eduard was too lazy to provide a pin or something like an adjustment point here. Tricky to align.

Have to care about the canopy now. Not least because I don't want to break off todays effort.

Return to “Fighters of the Reich GB”