Modelcrazy's bench production 2022

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Modelcrazy's bench production 2021

Post by Stuart »

I'm just gobsmacked by this build - I would love to see it in person!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Stuart.
A few more days, a few more things added, a few more things to repair.
My fat hands just can't seem to keep their meat hooks from bending or breaking off a piece of something painstakingly added. Oh well, two steps forward, one step back.
I completed the hull weathering and was starting on the futon shields that I made and they just looked out of scale and took away from the build IMO. So, ...I took them off......one step back. After reinstalling new railing where the shields were (I like the non-Hasegawa stuff better anyway) and re-spraying and weathering the hull, I sprayed some dull coat to the entire ship...part of a step forward. I took the build to a friends house to see it in person but I saw the silvering on the wind direction strips decal attached to the bow. With everything else looking like it is, that just stuck out like a sore thumb. Once I brought it back home I took 24 hours considering my options. The best, and one I went with, was to scribe anlong each strip and using wet sandpaper, 1000 grit, I was able to remove the offending additional carrier paper....continuation of the step back. New problem, now I have a triangular section that's clean and almost perfect :hmm:. After re-applying a gloss coat, I wet sanded again, this time trying to match the areas that were weathered. Once completed I then went back over the area with an oil wash. It turned out pretty well I think and assuming that you never knew what had happend, almost unnoticeable and looks like I meant it....the rest of the first step forward.
The above paragraph represents around 7 lost days :headslap: but the good news, it takes care of issues that surely would have counted against me. Tonight I need to go back over that area with some dull coat.
Now on to the second step forward. I completed the rope shields using the laser paper cutouts from Korea (remember those) which again, took a few days to get right, installed the Type 10 120mm twin AA guns and the flags/pennants to the mast lanyards. As close to the picture taken before the second wave as I could. I couldn't find a white/blue/white/blue/white pennant so I went with a red/white/red/white/red. It's probably telling them to attack their own carries for all I know.

I'm also in the process of installing the boats to the davits and of course that's proving to be a small pain as well.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Wow that's looking good! Post application excess carrier film surgery...that's a new one on me. Well done.
Thanks,
John
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! Just incredible!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow... how about a Jap doing “BANZIA” and another giving the finger. LOLOLOL!
Seriously, that is incredible work.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Yeah, you're going to need a base with moving waves for this one!
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I was able to get quite a bit done this weekend. Almost done with the carrier itself!

I completed the side boats, scratched the landing light system, repaired various area broken off or bent with my fat fingers, scratched the rudder position indicators and touched up the paint.

I started the water base because setting it in the base, while making it difficult to work on it due to the bases large size, 12"x32", will lessen the possibility of breaking items such as the folding aerials and safety netting hanging off the side of the flightdeck.

The rope shields with the type 10 120mm AA guns.

Forgive me if I you already saw some of these pics. I lose track.

The flight deck, decal carrier paper post surgery. The deck aft of the indicator lines is a little too sanded down but that just adds to show wear, at least I hope it does.

The side boats tied down.

Landing light system

The rudder indicator system. Port, red hourglass, starboard, red ball.

What everything would have looked like landing.

On to the base. I started out as usual tracing the hull. Why I don't do this before I start building is beyond me.

Next, cut out the hull, and grind the waves. The Akagi just came out of a squall so the waves were a little rough before they launched.

Next, I added aluminum foil for the chop and primed with grey paint to cut down the metallic look, I also added some paper towels soaked with glue to fill and acrylic medium the gaps. I did this by placing Saran Wrap on the base, placing the hull in it and spreading paper towels and acrylic medium to fill any gaps at the hull and removing both the hull and Saran Wrap. This is why I need to do this before building the kit. When will I ever learn. None of this will be seen in the final product.

After all is dry in a few days, I will start the acrylic medium and painting process.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, most impressive work! I can't wait to see that landing shot after you mount it to the sea board with a sky image in the background. This looks so real that I would actually believe I'm landing on this ship!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Incredible work! I'm really excited to see how you make your seascape
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks guys.
While I'm waiting for the deck to dry I started on the planes. As an update, here is what I'm working with. The Infini 350 detail set and the Hasegawa Carrier aircraft sets.

Here is one of the Zeros with the area to be removed in black and after the PE interior is installed.

I found it difficult to grind out the interior just enough not to either grind through the exterior or break the fuse where it is thin. I have 15 zeros to practice with and the first wave only had nine. The Kates will appreciate the practice.

First wave Zeek markings

Still trying to get a list of the 27 Kates. I found 4 and each are a little different from the other but I may have to make it up.

Return to “Member's Gallery”