Modelcrazy's bench production 2022

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Modelcrazy's bench production 2021

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I got nothing to add except incredible work. I can’t wait to see this one finished. I wish I could see this in person too.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Bobby.
Back to the base.
First using rough sandpaper, I sanded the base to remove any sharp peaks caused by painting on the gel.

Next, I mixed the color for the sea. Since the Akagi was in deep water the sea will be a dark blue. I used acrylic tube paint mixed with water to spray. The mix was 1 part green, 3 parts grey and 7 parts blue.

Once that was dry I added some white to my blue mixture to color the water where it churned and caused bubbles.

Satisfied with that I sprayed acrylic varnish thinned with water to protect the coats and give it an initial sheen.

Possibly tonight I'll set the Akagi in the base and start on the cotton.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’d say to add a tad bit of green for your Akagi base. The Pacific tends to be a bit greener than the Atlantic. But if your past that point already... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Yeah, it's tough to get the right shade.I figure since she's in DEEP water that it would be quite blue but your right, the Atlantic is typically more blue than the Pacific.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! That looks really cool! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ok, I gotta ask.... what are the dimension of this ocean base?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

12x34 A little wider than I like but it fits into one of those Hobby Lobby wall decor frames. I get them when they have a 50% off sale and remove whatever sentiment is in it.

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I situated the Akagi into the base and started the cotton for the wake and turbulence. I know, she look she's riding a little high but I found that after all the additions to the base it changes that perception. Also, she's up at the bow and rolling to port slightly.

I used acrylic varnish to attach the cotton, just pulling off the slightest amount. You don't need much and can always add more not less. Also using acrylic gloss medium, I started crafting the bow wave.

I continues wit the cotton on areas where there should be turbulence and wakes. let it dry overnight and took some pictures out in the light.

Liking what I'm seeing, I started the multiple varnish process. I'll brush on 3 to 4 coats to add depth to the water. On my last coat I'll add some more cotton the the stern and other areas here and there. There is really no wrong way to do it. You can overdo the effect but if you ever study a wake on a boat or ship just about anything goes as long as the waves are believable. I feel like I'm rambling.

The first coat of the varnish applied and waiting to dry. This process takes several days but will dry with a high gloss.

And my helper is trying to pick out his new build.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Man I love the way you do the water bases. Just incredible. :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:P1:

Love your helper too!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”