Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by Duke Maddog »

Hey everyone! Happy New Year and welcome to the new Grand Opening of Maddog Manufacturing for 2021. Most of which I'm going to show right off is work I did just before heading out on vacation back in December. Since it didn't get posted then, I'll be showing it here.

So, all aboard the tram and remember to keep hands and feet inside at all times. Enjoy the tour!

To start with, these are my most active projects currently going on right now:

A lot of the work you see here has already been chronicled, but just before I left, I did some airbrushing of base coats.

First I'll show you the work I did on the C-54.

I worked on sanding and shaping the cockpit canopy to get it ready for paint:

I think it's ready, but I'll have to prime it first to be sure.

Then I built all the engines and dry-fit them to the wing nacelles to see how they look:

They look great in place, but I had a sneaky suspicion about something so I slipped a cowl on one of them to see how well it fit. It didn't:

That is way too far from the nacelle so the engines are gonna take a little finagling before they get painted and closed in behind the cowls.

Moving on, here are the pics of that base coating work on my armor and the 1929 Coke Delivery Van...

First off, I had the Olive Drab out so I shot the OD basecoat on these models:

M-5 Stuart:

M-551 Sheridan:

M-113 APC with Turret:

Next I pulled out the Dark Green and shot it over these:

Russian BTR-70 Early:

Russian BTR-70 Late:

...and my Russian 2S19 Artillery Vehicle that I'd assembled in 15 minutes some time before:

Later I pulled out the Green Drab and base coated the M-51 Isherman:

After that dried, I shot a coat of Israeli Armor Sand over this, trying hard to do it light enough for the Green Drab to show through in places:

I then changed things up and loaded some red in the brush and shot my 1929 Coke Delivery Van. It was still wet in this pic:

Personally I'm not that thrilled with that red, I feel it's too light. I want a darker red on this so I'll be looking for another color to shoot on this.

After that, I shot the dark tan over the D-9 Dozer:

I'll be doing a dark brown wash over that to make it pop and then after paint the interior, I'll add the windows to this. Then after I weather it, I think it will be done as I don't remember any markings for it.

The day before I left, I shot gloss coats over all the above vehicles to prepare them for decals when I came home.

Finally when I got home, I decided to tackle the BTR-3K that has the digital camouflage decals included. Alexey had a nice sheet of digital patterns but I feel there could have been more as I didn't have enough for the upper deck in back. Maybe it doesn't need it up there, but I added what I had left after applying them to the sides, front and rear. There was no diagram in the instructions showing where and how to apply them so I winged it. I think it looks pretty good, despite my poor application:

And no, I won't paint the remainder on the top. I don't want to deal with masking with multiple strips of tape over multiple layers, even on that small area. It's just going to be dullcoated and weathered after adding any other markings that might go on this. I also decided that after dealing with these, I was going to wait for another day to decal the rest.

Okay. that's what I have to show for the start of 2021. Hopefully I can maintain this momentum throughout the year.

Thank you for joining the Grand Opening Tour! I appreciate all comments.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by speedgraflex »

Incredible tour, Duke! I want to go through everything you posted and described again! Fabulous ending-beginning to a new model building year! Huzzah!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Really excited about the BTRs! The red on the coke can looks bright orange on my phone
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I was chuckling when I saw the first picture with the aircraft...all “in scale” all quite large.

Very nice collection! You have been a busy lad.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, thanks guys for all the fantastic comments and compliments!

Bruce, I'm glad you liked the tour. Feel free to read this as often as you like!

Clint, thanks! The BTR's should be completed rather quickly now that I have the digi camo on the one. And you're right, the red is a bit too orange for my taste as well. That is why I want to repaint it

Lyle, I agree! Seeing all thew aircraft and armor in scale like that is quite the sight. Thanks man! I hope I can continue to be busy!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

And the Duke keeps marching along! Always a treat to watch your production line Mark.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Wow... you’ve been busy. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Excellent!! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks guys! I hope I can keep marching along at this rate.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

We have been busy haven't we?

It all looks great.Now you can finish them at your leisure.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...

Return to “Member's Gallery”