Another Non-Luftwaffe Subject for Me...

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
Stikpusher

Re: Another Non-Luftwaffe Subject for Me...

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking back, it seems that us American kids were introduced to early anime cartoons on TV in the late 60’s and early 70s with Gigantor, Speed Racer, and Kimba.... :hmm: who knew?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Yes! The US started importing Japanese tv content in dubbed form in the 60's. Coincidentally, right about the time when my family emigrated from Okinawa to Virginia. I went from watching Urutoro Man in Japanese to Ultraman in English. So you can understand the nostalgia that I have for these types of shows.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, I sure do understand your nostalgia for them. Between the cartoons that I mentioned, and the Gerry Anderson TV shows out of Britain at the same time, there was plenty of good stuff on far fewer channels to watch back then for a boy like myself.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:lashed: I have all the Thunderbirds and Stingray on DVD...

My introduction to Japanese animation, or 'Manga' as we called it (never heard it called it anything else at the time), were films like Akira - I loved that film, although I still prefer the original version with subtitles than I do the dubbed English one. Also programs like Star Fleet.

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Anime = animated show
Manga = comic book

I remember watching Captain Scarlet during that time period and some Thunderbirds too. In Virginia, everything from Japan was dubbed into English of course. I moved to Hawaii in 1976 and because Japanese culture is so ingrained into life in the islands, I was immediately exposed to Japanese television in its original language with subtitles.

One of the first shows I got hooked on was Getter Robo G. It was the first combining or transforming robot show. Three ships could combine into one giant robot. I was totally in love with the show. I remember that the local Woolworth stores would have a Japanese toy section and I was always in awe of those giant robot toys that I could not afford.

This is the kit that I've ordered and will be building. It's a re-sculpt of the Getter Dragon robot.

But instead of the shiny new look, I'm going to give it a flat, primary color finish with some wear to fall more in line with the original anime.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I was thinking of weathering along these lines. Perhaps too Michael Bay Transformers in approach but still, very worthy of your talents. I saw a Getter in Beast Mode when I was searching...

Grendizer Giga!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

That's a cool CGI rendition of a Go Nagai robot! This model also has a bit of that Transformer-style but no overly so, thankfully! Excite now that I just got an email notification that the kit has been delivered! My late birthday present! :tongue:
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! Those High Grade Bandi kits are awesome!! I'd like to build one of those. I still want to do a Veritech from Robotech:Macross. That's the series that got me into anime and manga.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Finished my Giant Robot model. Pretty simple/quick build. Gave it a flat coat instead of keeping it shiny.

My next Non-Luftwaffe subject will be the Jet VTOL from the 1966 series, Ultraman...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:wow: Wow!! It looks awesome!!!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Future Builds”