M47 Patton, 5th ID Germany, Patton Project Pt.2

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

M47 Patton, 5th ID Germany, Patton Project Pt.2

Post by Stikpusher »

A new year, and another new project. Continuing my builds for the So Cal AMPS GB of the Patton Tank family, I’m building a M47 this time. I’m using the Italeri kit, but will modify it some by changing the turret grab rails to early configuration, and not what comes in the kit. I will be building this in the markings of the 5th Infantry Division, my first line unit in the Army, during the time that they were stationed in West Germany in the early 1950s, when my father was stationed there. So this project is hitting a few personal areas, so to speak.

Anyways, last night I began by completing steps 1&2, essentially putting on most of the suspension.

Now Joe, after seeing all of your gorgeous engine upgrades on all of your automotive builds, I have been inspired to upgrade this power pack area with some plumbing and wiring. I have found some good photos to use as reference.

The real question is how much. We shall see...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: M47 Patton, 5th ID Germany, Patton Project Pt.2

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Definitely going to follow this one... :popcorn:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

You going to cut a hole in the top deck to stick a blower through? :giggles:
Honestly this is going to be a fun build to watch.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

You're turning into a machine Carlos! Looks like a fun project - especially the engine bay (see throttle return spring thread :giggles: )
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tom, Clint, and John, thanks for tagging along.
Floki wrote:You going to cut a hole in the top deck to stick a blower through? :giggles:
Honestly this is going to be a fun build to watch.
Mmmmmmm, no. Sounds like a killer idea for a Deals Wheels or Tom Daniels subject though.... :hmm: But not this one.
keavdog wrote:You're turning into a machine Carlos! Looks like a fun project - especially the engine bay (see throttle return spring thread :giggles: )
Being a bit smaller in scale, and I have yet to find a photo of the throttle linkage, I’m not going down that rabbit hole. :nono: :puzzle: Just some basic wiring and plumbing. Anybody here have some good photos of the engine compartment on a M46, M47, or pre A2 M48? They were all pretty much the same. The tank just evolved around the drivetrain, suspension, and 90mm gun.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Today’s update: I finished steps 3 & 4, adding the shocks, road wheels, and return rollers to the suspension.

Next session will be where I start dealing with the upper hull and upgrading tne engine compartment.

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

It is coming along very nicely.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Lyle. Wait until you see what’s coming up real soon on this. And it’s all Joes fault! :tease:

Well his and Italeri’s... :whistle:

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I read your earlier post....Gotta watch falling under Joe's influence!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tell me about it... :headslap:

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”