Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing Open in 2021

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce!

Thanks for posting man! I always love reading your replies! Yes, it has been an adventure indeed! I sure hope to be able to finish the Antonov adventure soon too! Yeah, I've always loved that show Space 1999. Some time back I built the Eagle One transporter; here's a couple poor shots of it. I should reshoot this. I probably will when I finish the Hawk:

That's gonna be fun posing those two together when the Hawk is done.

By the way, have you seen my Motor Pool yet? I did post it some time back, not sure if you knew about it.

Also, if you are not doing anything on the day/evening of March 13th, we are having a limited Hobby Day and I will be doing my usual gift of steak dinners for everyone who comes that night. That is how I celebrate my birthday (which is tomorrow) by giving that gift to everyone who is there. You are cordially invited. I am so looking forward to it.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, here is a small update on some of the work I've done after recovering from that difficult week. Things seem to have gotten a bit better now. This is also all the work I got done yesterday and today.

To start with, I assembled all the wheels for my 1/35th scale Patton that I am doing for the SoCal AMPS Group Build:

Next I painted all the bare pieces that I'd installed earlier:

Moving on, I decided that that tracks for the FV-432 needed to be finished, so I did the other side on the track jig. I then test fit the first run I did on the one side:

That was very fiddly and poorly done so I decided I better just do a complete track install. After some effort and adjustments, I got everything on:

All that's left is to add all the photo-etch parts and then this can be painted.

Since I was doing tracks, I moved on and did the tracks for the Chieftains, starting with the Mk.V. I assembled the first run of tracks on the one side of the jig:

These larger ones were much easier to do. I like these jigs too because you can do the track runs on both sides which helps insure the tracks are all going the proper direction:

I hope to paint a basecoat at least on my Chieftains before I install these tracks.

I started the tracks on the other two jigs I had for the Mk.10 and Mk.11 Chieftains but didn't shoot any pics of them. After all they look like the above pics. However, because I was doing wheels and tracks, I pulled down my M-109A6 and added the roadwheels and tracks to that:

Afterward I added a few more bits and bobs to the turret of this vehicle. Here it is sitting on the hull with all the new tracks on it:

A few more bits and bobs, some baskets on the back of the turret and some photo-etch and this will be ready for paint as well...

After that, my two Roden WWI buses came in and so I eagerly got started on one of them. I chose to do the civilian bus first. Of course the first thing to do was the suspension and chassis... such as it is:

I then assembled the main body/lower passenger cabin:

That is when I found out why there was so little on the suspension because it all gets added to the bottom of the main body:

Afterward I finished the drivers seat and hood of this bus:

While that was set aside and drying, I assembled the upper passenger deck:

Here it is all mocked up to see what it will look like:

I like it! I'm leaving the upper deck off until I can get the interior of the lower part painted first. Then everything will be brought together.

And that is my progress for the past day and a half. Thanks all for looking in! Comments are always welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Atsalotsa stuff. Like the bus.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You got all of that done in our 4 hour session Mark? Or actually 5 since we had that hours of talk and prep time? That’s quite a lot to do in one session!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Lyle! I love the bus too. Can't wait to dig into the second one.

Thanks Carlos. Yes, I completed all that in the five hour zoom meeting, except for the bus. I started that after it was over as they had just arrived right after the meeting.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looks like the birthday boy was busy today... :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

No doubt! Been keeping up the momentum these past couple days too. Pics should be up soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I've been wanting that 109. How does it build?
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Very well. Assembly is very straightforward and the fit is excellent. Some joints can be tricky though, so watch how things glue and test fit a lot to make sure things seal properly once glue goes on. I didn't like how they required the gun to be fixed in place. Fortunately they gave you the means to make able to elevate; you can see my solution earlier on in this Thread, or in the previous Maddog Manufacturing Thread from 2020; I don't remember how far back I did it.

Riich Models also have an M-109A2 that has the same thing. I plan on starting that one soon too.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Today I have a rather large update showing all the work I did from my birthday on Monday until now.

So, everyone climb aboard the tram and we'll get on our way. Just remember to keep hands and feet inside the tram at all times.

Let's start with my aircraft in the hangar. I'm still slowly working on my A-400; this time I have the nose all puttied up:

While I was doing that, somehow one of my main landing gear wheels broke off..... again! This particular wheel had already come off three previous times and this time I was nowhere near it so I have no idea how or why it broke again! Instead of trying to cement it back in place like I did before, I tore out the mounting arm that it is supposed to stick to first. I then clamped it into place and filled the joint with CA glue and kicker:

That thing is now back on the main strut it's supposed to sit on and should hopefully stay this time!

Okay, next is the work I did on my An-124. That's the An-124; everyone keeps calling it the -225 which I have NOT gotten yet!

First off, thanks to a friend and fellow AMPS member, I finally managed to get the fuselage of this monster painted clean and smooth enough. So, I took all the tape off the bottom of the plane, except for the tape still protecting the main landing gear bays:

That was a lot of tape!

Next, I taped off and painted the aluminum leading edge on the vertical stabilizer:

After that, I painted the nose and tail with the "steel grey" (Humbrol) called for in the paint call out sheet. Here's the nose, the tail has the same color:

After that, I removed the tape from the vertical stabilizer. Now this bird's fuselage is ready for another clearcoat to tie everything together and then I can decal it:

Next I turned my attention to the wings. to start with, I tried an experiment on the exhaust cones of the engines. First came the dark metallic color, then I drybrushed a light aluminum color over that, followed by another drybrush of copper over it. This is the result:

I like it.

Then I masked and painted the leading edges of the wings and tail and painted the aluminum on those:

After awhile, I removed all the tape after finishing the other two exhaust cones on the other wing. Now these wings and tails are ready for decals after another clearcoat:

That's as far as I got with this An-124.

Time for something different...

I shot a white coat on the Space 1999 Mk.IX Hawk. Next I'll have to mask off certain places to shoot the orange on it. It doesn't look like it since this was molded in white, but it is sprayed:

Moving on to the vehicle assembly line, we have a lot going on here.

I shot a clear coat on the 1/35th scale Patton I'm doing. Decals will be next before I add the wheels and tracks:

Moving on to my smaller stuff; I'm doing another Group Build on another forums so it was time to do more on that project. This is a Russian anti-tank vehicle that I basically had to add an interior to. This is what it looks like:

Later I built the launching arm assembly for the three missiles in firing position. You can see that sitting behind the vehicle here:

Gotta do some painting before I can move on this further.

This next one is my campaign model for the Micro Modeler Month campaign that I'm doing on the Alliance.

I started by assembling the lower hull as it was in three pieces:

I then built the turret, only doing the basics while leaving off delicate parts until later:

Next was adding the additional parts to the upper hull. There weren't too many:

This is all three sub-assemblies dry-fit roughly together. Yes, the lower hull is under there:

Finally, I assembled the running gear and tracks and added additional parts and sub-assemblies to the turret. This tank is now ready for paint. Here it is all mocked up:

Moving on from here, I painted the interior of the D-9 dozer cab so I can close it up and move on. It is a bit crude in there, but once this cab is closed and the windows on it; you won't be able to tell:

As for the windows, I had painted them a clear green before to represent the bulletproof glass on them. This time, I painted the frames the same tan color as the rest of the model:

Next I started a second Type B bus; this time it was the one in military service known as "Ole Bill". All the assembly was basically the same; the one exception was that "Ole Bill" had boards covering the lower cabin windows for protection of the troops inside. So, I waited until I had it built to the same level as the previous bus before shooting pics:

Here you can see the difference between the two in this shot of them sitting side by side:

Afterward, I decided it was time to get all the photo etch out of the way on all these models that need it. I started with the baskets on the rear of the M-109A6 turret. All the side pieces needed photo etch before assembly:

Later I built them and installed them on the turret but I didn't get pics of that. Next update I'll show them.

More photo etch fun happened with the British FV-432. This vehicle has a rather large basket that sits on top. Takom gave me a rather ingenious little jig in the kit that simplified assembly of it tremendously. It looks like a giant tub (at least giant from the perspective of 1/72 scale!) that you prop the pieces up on. Then you add glue where they touch on the ends:

The glue was still wet when I took that pic. After it dried, I added the photo etch screen to the base grid piece that this sits on and then glued this assembly on top of it. And there you have a basket:

Again, the glue was till wet in that pic. That was amazingly simple and fun!

Moving on, I added the remaining photo etch parts to the model itself; starting with the headlight screens and lift rings in front:

On the back I added the photo etch mud flaps:

Next it was time to add the photo etch to the Chieftains, starting with the Mk.5. I started on the hull, adding the engine deck screens and other parts:

Those parts on the front fenders were very difficult to add. I then added all the photo etch to the baskets on the turret:

I did the same thing with the Mk.10, first doing the hull followed by the turret baskets:

Here it is all mocked up:

...and then the Mk. 11 was completed the same way:

Afterward while the photo etch was drying, I completed the track runs for all three tanks. Here they are still on the track jigs:

Now all three of these are ready for paint now, then I can complete the track installations and go from there:

Because of all this progress, I had a great birthday!

That completes the tour for this week. Please disembark in an orderly fashion. Extra birthday cake and ice cream will be served in the snack bar.

Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”