That time again!

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Fermis
Addicted Member

That time again!

Post by Fermis »

With the ice off the lake, and a few nice days...the fish have returned to the river!

I put in an hour, on Wed evening...

1st cast...3lb smally! (above average for here)

Followed by 1.5lb largemouth (about average for here)

5-ish lb. pike (average)

1.5lb smally (average)

And another average largemouth...

Thursdays weather was garbage...up to 45mph winds. Stayed breezy and chilly through yesterday afternoon. It calmed down and ended up with a very nice evening. My parents got back from their wintering ground yesterday, so the wife and I headed down to the lake to hang out...ended up outside with a bonfire.
Made a few casts here and there. Only got one...but it was a nice one!

4.5 lbs, easily! They don't make em much bigger than that around here!

Glassy smooth, once again!
LyleW
Admin

Re: That time again!

Post by LyleW »

Nice! Beautiful setting, too. Catch and release? or, filet and eat?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Catch and release. Our river system and chain of lakes falls in the "Do not eat" category. PFAS pollution from up river.
Even prior to that, I'd keep very few fish. One or two walleye and/or pike per season was about it.

I have been gittin' a hank'rin for a batch of bluegill lately. I'll have to go elsewhere to get em.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Too bad about the pollution, but catching them is most of the fun. I know of a small lake down around Morgantown KY thet has a lot of nice crappie, etc. not fished much anymore.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

We're supposedly one of the top crappie lakes in the state.
I haven't caught one in years...but I don't fish for them, or fish like I used to.
I have pulled a few out, that were over a pound....long time ago!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Trout season will be starting soon in NYS even though I don’t do fly fishing. Open season for fishing will begin around late April or May. Didn’t do any fishing last year due to pandemic. Hell, my bro-in-law hadn’t asked us last year at all even though he went 3 times himself.
I’ve been wanting to get a small fishing boat I’ve seen on Sea Eagle catalogs just for my son and me so we can go whenever and wherever we want. Other home expenses and priorities takes first dibs over a boat. Funny, I haven’t complained much about wanting to get one the last couple years.
Not this year though. We just purchased a new car (2021 Honda CR-V) and I need a new rider mower this year.
Hopefully next year will be that year I’ll finally get that boat. We’ll see.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

I really...REALLY...wish we had trout around here.
There is a pond at one of the metroparks that has em stocked...but that place get stupid crowded. Not for me!
Farm trout don't even come close to tasting as good as wild trout.
We're taking a trip in May, to New Hampshire....mayhaps I can find some there. If not...we're also taking a trip to Colorado in June. I know they're there!!!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looks like you had one good day on the lake! Tom I have a small Jon boat just big enough for two people and a trolling motor, it's aluminum probably 25 years old still in great shape. Best time to buy is at the end of the season.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Fermis wrote: I really...REALLY...wish we had trout around here.
There is a pond at one of the metroparks that has em stocked...but that place get stupid crowded. Not for me!
Farm trout don't even come close to tasting as good as wild trout.
We're taking a trip in May, to New Hampshire....mayhaps I can find some there. If not...we're also taking a trip to Colorado in June. I know they're there!!!

HA! New Hampshire is 4 hours east of me. New York State has plenty of trout depending on where you fish. Since it's been years - I mean years like since I was a kid - we commonly find Brown trout. The Adirondacks is gorgeous and plenty of fishing spots to choose from One day, I want to fish up on Fourth Lake and Raquette Lake. Especially Raquette Lake. Nothing like early morning fishing and hearing loons calling.

Sylvan Beach is best known for Walleyes, Bass, Perch, Crappies, Pickerels, Pikes, and Snakeheads. Bullheads are good eating too.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

There is ma somewhat famous triumph steam in western NY. I have a friend whose son/d-I-l have a house nearby.

Return to “Free Discussion”