M47 Patton, 5th ID Germany, Patton Project Pt.2

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: M47 Patton, 5th ID Germany, Patton Project Pt.2

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. The M48 is an evolutionary development from the M47. The same suspension and power pack (initially) as the M47, but the M48 had a new hull layout and new turret design. The Tamiya M48 is a good kit for its age, but it is actually tall in stature, not short. When Tamiya made their measurements with a real M48, that vehicle supposedly had no power pack installed, so the suspension was not compressed to its usual level.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yesterday I added on the early style grab rails on the turret sides using parts from my spares bin.

Now I just need to add the rod frame type guards on the commander’s and gunner’s sights and the backdating of the turret will be completed. Next up, cast armor texture.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

A little more progress to post. Over on Armorama, it was pointed out to me that the turrets had some external “dimples” welded into the armor where the gun trunnions attach to the turret sides. So I cut some small pieces of tube styrene and glued them into the appropriate spots

Then I sanded them to a more scale thickness, doused them with liquid cement, and gave a bit of weld texture around the edges with a toothpick.

Now I can proceed to adding the cast armor texture where needed... nearly all of the turret and much of the front and rear hull...

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Great idea using the tubing to replicate the dimples.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I have to start looking here more often. I'm missing killer stuff and this is a great example. Keep slinging it.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks guys. I’m in the middle of adding the cast armor texture, so I should have more updates in a few days. It’s not a quick process.

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

One more update- I finished adding the cast armor texture a bit more rapidly than I thought that I would using Mr Surfacer and a Microbrush.

and a couple close ups

it should look good under a coat of paint...

This will be my last update on this until next week. Have plans for the weekend, so I won’t get any bench time.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Wow! That looks very effective Carlos!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Can't wait to see it with some paint.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Stuart.

I’m with you on the paint Mike. I just have a few more bits to add before I can get some paint on there.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”