That time again!

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: That time again!

Post by keavdog »

Nice day of fishing! I used to head up to the Kern river in the southern Sierras. Best trout fishing I've ever done. First fish I ever caught was a crappie when my dad was stationed in TX. I moved to San Diego when I was 16 or so and got introduced to ocean fishing. Really fun, really strong fish. A 25lb albacore is a workout! But I grew up trout fishing so that's my first love.
Haven't been fishing for a few years now. I had a 20' SeaRay. I put a removable bait tank on the swim platform and I'd load up with anchovies and go fishing around the kelp beds just off shore. Great times. Need to get back to fishing!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Man I envy you! Congrats on getting back to the lakes and streams! I've never bee3n successful in fresh water fishing with the exception of two or three small crappie. Ocean fishing is another story. Way to go Jeremy!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

keavdog wrote:Nice day of fishing! I used to head up to the Kern river in the southern Sierras. Best trout fishing I've ever done. First fish I ever caught was a crappie when my dad was stationed in TX. I moved to San Diego when I was 16 or so and got introduced to ocean fishing. Really fun, really strong fish. A 25lb albacore is a workout! But I grew up trout fishing so that's my first love.
Haven't been fishing for a few years now. I had a 20' SeaRay. I put a removable bait tank on the swim platform and I'd load up with anchovies and go fishing around the kelp beds just off shore. Great times. Need to get back to fishing!
My 1st was a little red snapper, off the pier in Monterey Ca. Haven't done much ocean fishin...also got some rock cod in Ca...a few small sea trout, puffers, and ladyfish in Tampa last year. When we lived in Hawaii, I'd take the spear when we dove...never got anything big. Big eyes and squirrelfish mostly.
My biggest is a 32lb King salmon...it was also the last salmon I caught...8 years ago :headslap: . Even with chasing them every year. That fishery is dying here.
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Hit the river again, Sunday evening.
My friend, Carol came over...I have been "mentoring" her with shooting and introduced her to deer hunting last season. She's retired Air Force, used to work on F-15's. She bought the Revell 1/48 F-15E years ago...looked at it and stuffed it away in her closet. I can't have that!!! So, we've also been working on that!
Anyway....to the river!

1st cast...

Nice "chunk"...close to 4lbs. Will most likely be the "big one" for the year (for largemouth anyway)...they don't get much bigger here.

Then, we both hooked up at the exact same time...

I have never caught a sucker on anything but worms or the end of an arrow! We were using soft plastic swim baits. I don't think I've ever even seen a sucker caught on any lure....she managed to do it! I awarded an extra point!

In total, I ended up with 3 largemouth and 3 smallmouth...Carol had the sucker and a smallmouth(her 1sts, for both species)
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Welp...I...was...wrong!!! (regarding the "big one" for the year)

Once again...1st cast...

Solid 5 pounder!!! I've only caught one other this size here. Down south(or southern Cali), this would be about the equivalent to a 13-15 pounder!
Ended up with another 3, smaller versions of the same thing. Things seem to have changed a bit around here. Typically, it's all smallmouth 1st, a pike here and there, then the walleye, followed by largemouth. Not a single "smally" tonight...but I did get bit off by a pike.

A bit of perspective...
My parents house...river on the right, lake out front.
Most of my catches are between the diving board and the willow tree...the rest are off the front corner, following the river line, out toward the lake.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stunningly beautiful!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Fermis
Addicted Member

Post by Fermis »

Had to drop a few things off at my folks yesterday...decided to throw a few casts while the ladyfolk were jaw jackin.

Fished for about 10-15 mins. Got 4 smallies...1 big'n. Pushing the 6lb mark! The rest were 14-16".

tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Looks like it's your year to catch the big ones
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Beautiful! Especially the bronze ones! I would love to have access to some smallmouth bass!

One of the things that can seriously eat into my modeling time is fishing. Not just the act but all of the preparation, tackle and equipment associated with it. I recently broke my favorite rod (Out of production Daiwa Zillion 701MXB) and so I've been doing some research to replace it. I settled on a Megabass Levante Braillist so I'm looking forward to getting a new rod in the mail soon!

I have access to a small private pond, which is nice and unpressured. The fish aren't big but is enough to satisfy the bug until the season at Barrett Lake starts.
https://youtu.be/e8gbMOuJh0c
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, what magnificent catches! I've never been able to catch trout, bass, or any other large fresh water game fish. All I've ever landed were 1 pound or less crappies. Man, I couldn't even catch catfish! That is inexcusable for a Southern boy like me! :bag:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Free Discussion”