Classic Biplane Duelists

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: Classic Biplane Duelists

Post by jeaton01 »

Carlos, I would use very short slice of tubing for that acorn, and slide it on the E Z Line, attach the ends, then move the sleeve in to the right spot and glue it. I also prefer to drill rigging holes early in construction and although it makes a lot of places to clean up later I drill them clear through the wings. My hands are too big to get into those little bitty places.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have my rigging holes pre done, although the paint looks to have filled a few of them. I’ll have to look at photos of the “acorn” and see if out tubing suggestion will work. I could swear that it is oriented fore/aft along that axis of the aircraft and not up down.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Yeah, it is. But it's only about twice as long as it is around IIRC. I think it's more important to get the odd angles those two wires make correct.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes it is. I think I have an idea that will work, based off of your suggestion... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

There are YouTube videos on how easy rigging can be done.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Last time that I used a YouTube video to instruct me to do something that looked easy, it went south big time. I don’t fall for those anymore. :headbang:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yep! I have the same experience so I stopped watching those.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, attempt 2 went far better than attempt 1. It did not turn out perfect, but I am not gonna put everything else on hold until I do get it perfect. My order of effort was: attach the EZ line to the upper front cabane strut/upper wing junction, cut a slice of tubing and thread the EZ line thru the hole in the slice, attach the EZ line to the front cabane strut/fuselage junction after achieving proper tension, adjust the position of the metal tube slice and position it. Unfortunately, due to the tension on the lines, it would not position properly, so this was the best that I could do. A better way would be to attach top ends of the line, position the tube slice and fix it in in proper place, then tension and attach the bottom ends of the lines. Live and learn. Anyways...

Now I can start working my way out from that area...

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looks amazing! I've never tried rigging it scares me lol
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It looks very challenging. As Carlos already mentioned... sometimes you feel like you need a third hand.
Rigging a battleship was challenging enough for me and has put a strain on my eyes at times... and a quite a few swearing involved too. Taking a couple days away from the bench to recharge myself before resuming on the Berlin Express P-51 Mustang kit.

As I said before, I have done a trial test using a section of sprue. It looked easy when I did it but it will be a whole different game when come a time to actually rig a biplane down the road.

It looks good, Carlos. I like effort that you took a step back and try another method. I guess the more you do it, the easier it’ll be for future biplane rigging sessions.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”