Airfix 1/72nd Ju 87B-2

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Bish
Master Member

Airfix 1/72nd Ju 87B-2

Post by Bish »

Start this a couple of weeks ago.This is my 7th 72nd Ju 87. While i do like the Fujimi kit, this new Airfix one is clearly a step up in detail. I know the Fujimi kit is a little oversize, i have not yet compared this one to scale plans but i will at some point. Going over the kit, there are a few things i think they could have done better, but to some degreee these are largely personal preferance. As its a Stuka, i do tend to be a bit picky.

I will be ading some Eduard PE and Quickboost resin.

The first thing i checked when i got the kit was the supercharger intake. At least one of the marking options is a Trop Stuka, but unfortunatly Airfix did not include the larger Trop intake. This still leaves only the Italeri kit with this option. This is not an issue for this build as i won't be useing the kit markings, but i would pike to have the option of doing Trop Stuka's and unfortuantly the AM market has still not provided any option for this.

As usual, i started with the pit. The kit detail is very nice as it is, so the PE spruces up whats there.

The gunners seat should just be a frame, but as i am adding the gunner, its not an issue.

This was a bit odd. Never seen this reccess underneath before, i had to look it up. There should be a fairing over this. Its a nice option for a dio scene, but it would have been better is the fairing was included. All the pics i have seen in flight show this covered and i can't imagine they would leave it open and rick damage to the wiring. I will use some filler for this.

After paint and dry brushing, i added the pre coloure PE.

And then got the fuselage together. The centre piece with the seats wil fit up from underneath later.

More soon.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
LyleW
Admin

Re: Airfix 1/72nd Ju 87B-2

Post by LyleW »

Never built a Stuka. An odd duck, effective, but a good target, too...you are doing top notch work here! Looks great.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Always like to see a stuka being built!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks guys.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool! It is odd that they didn't give you a cover for that area.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks Mike. I know, but then i thought it odd they made it expose in the first place.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Time for another update. I got the cockpit fitted which go in from underneath. It was a very tight fit and i had hope to dry fit. But i couldn't remove it for risk of breaking somthing so i ended up clamping it in place as it could have done with some sanding down. One very nice touch on this kit is the addition of the pilots target viewing window. Its attache to a box structure which i had not seen before. I can find any pic of a B pit where you can see it. But i did find an image in a new book i recently got which show in from a training manuel. What is mssing is the external cover to the window which always seems to be closed when on the ground. Fortunatly the Eduard set has that part.

The recess around the centre bomb carrier was fille. Not perfect as there are a couple of small openings. But once the bomb is attached this should not be noticed.

And then all the final touches to get it ready for priming. The instructions only have you fit the siren mount but the kit does include the sirens. The only image of the aircraft i am doing is a profile in an Osprey book which only shows the mounts. But as i have no photo of it and there is no saying the sirens were not fitted and later removed. As i have no Stuka with the siren, i felt it was well over due. So i fitted it. I also added wing guns and pitot from Quickboost.

Now its all together, i can see that IMHO, this is the best 72nd Ju 87B. Clearly the detail is far better than the 30+ year old Fujimi kit. Other than sliding in the pit, the fit is very nice, just a touch of filler along the wing join with the fuselage. The addition on the window under the fuselage is a nice touch. There are just a few small things which stop this kit being perfect. A cover for the window and a larger Trop filter would be great additions. Its also missing the IFF antenna from under the fuselage. oddly Eduard does not include it even though they do on the set for the Fujimi kit and hopefully i have a spare Fujimi one in the spares box.

The one thing i really don't like is how Airfix mold the open canopy with the pilots section molded onto the fixed centre piece. Will have a pic of that next time.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This is coming along swimmingly! Looking good. And it is making me want one. Must resist.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looks amazing! Kind of odd it's missing the IFF antenna but that part should be easy to scratch build if you can't find a extra.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good, Bish! I haven't done a Stuka kit since the late 70s.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”