1/35 Iraqi BMP-1

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: 1/35 Iraqi BMP-1

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Stikpusher wrote:Borg, it is indeed a classic Soviet AFV. Low silhouette, fast, hard hitting, and cramped inside... LOL!

(...)
And according to some a deathtrap because of the doors on the back doubleing as fuel tanks! :what:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, the color of the plastic is not a bother for me at all. I do not understand why some folks get worked up about it at all. I am just concerned with any plastic's properties regarding cutting, sanding and gluing. How hard, soft or brittle, and how does it work with the solvent cements?

Borg, yes, the BMP is indeed very vulnerable on the rear quadrant due to the fuel tanks in the doors. But then again, most APCs and IFVs have similar issues as fuel tanks are usually in the troop compartment either in the sidewalls vulnerable to any API rounds, or under the floorboards vulnerable to mines. Even on the later types that have the tanks in armored external housings, they are usually still near the rear doors/ramp and can be a hazard to emergency dismounts in that area when they are penetrated and set alight... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Oh yes of course :headslap:

Sorry that's kind of what I meant. I should have been a bit more specific :oops: it's just that in my experience (I build a lot of older kits in various colours) some coloured plastics can be a bit :quotes: funny :quotes: which is, as you say, down to the properties of the plastic, not just because it's coloured - it's just that some times these things go hand in hand...

I know what I mean in my own head... :bored: :bag:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok, got ya. :hmm: Well, no problems noted so far. AMT's plastic does tend to be on the softer side. Although not so soft as the latest Airfix stuff that I have dealt with. And not so brittle as Italeri. If those are two good examples for you?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, I did not get as much done on this today as intended... my other project, the Klingon Cruiser took a lot more attention with its' decals and their lack of co operation... and then there was some family business to attend to... but I did get some more sub assembly work done... although most of the photos turned out terribly, so this is the presentable one...

and I remembered this resin figure in my stash that may work for a vignette scene...

I have some other Iraqi figures as well, so no decision here yet... :hmm:

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Ok, got ya. :hmm: Well, no problems noted so far. AMT's plastic does tend to be on the softer side. Although not so soft as the latest Airfix stuff that I have dealt with. And not so brittle as Italeri. If those are two good examples for you?
So not too bad then - glad to hear it, some coloured stuff can be as hard as nails, and very brittle.
Stikpusher wrote:Well, I did not get as much done on this today as intended... my other project, the Klingon Cruiser took a lot more attention with its' decals and their lack of co operation... and then there was some family business to attend to... but I did get some more sub assembly work done... although most of the photos turned out terribly, so this is the presentable one...

and I remembered this resin figure in my stash that may work for a vignette scene...

I have some other Iraqi figures as well, so no decision here yet... :hmm:
Thats looking great - and the figure looks good too.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Port.... but now that damn bug has bitten me again... I swear there needs to be an immunization shot for this...

I really do NOT like open sponson bottoms. so I added some sheet styrene to fill the ones on this...

And then I added some front plates on the lower hull in front of the sprockets... but then if I am gonna display ths with a figure one day, it can't be buttoned up so I started adding some inner panel works...

and as you can see thru the open hatches

I'll add some more basic detailing in there like laterals, pedals, and seats... but not go overboard like on my B-26....

so this is how the sub assemblies together look now...

sorry for the crappy photos, but my camera and the garage work area are not good friends after dark.... :puzzle:

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

coming nicely together Stik!

Absolutely no problems with the pic quality!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh the focus is bad on the last two... I'll get better photos in the morning with daylight... :headslap:

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yesterday afternoon with better lighting I was able to get a photo of the sub assemblies that I could not get done so well in the previous evenings...

turret, TC cupola, Sagger missile and launch rail

and then yesterday afternoon I airbrushed on the first color for the exterior. Tamiya's new Tire Black on the road wheels and return rollers

next up is some green on the lower hull when I get the chance...

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”