1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales "The beginning of the end"

Post by speedgraflex »

I'm just gonna post a few images found online: one looks like a shot you previously posted, one seems quite good for information and one of the HMS Howe is simply beautiful color photography from the period and I admit my crushing ignorance of these camouflage schemes, with much respect to you!

HMS Prince of Wales [1] *slightly darkened this with a gradient filter in an attempt to pull up the contrast

HMS Prince of Wales [2]

HMS Howe

I'm sure that none of these images have escaped your notice, but I am having a great deal of interest in your research into these camouflage colors. Thank you for your wonderful thread.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Bruce. Yes the shot of the Howe is stunning, especially for the period. Perhaps shot by a Hasselblad or some other exceptional manufacturer at the time. I did see the first photo as well (several versions of it) but I don't recall the second. The slight variations of some of the colors make the camo hard to make out in areas. You can find differences between reference drawings as well. Luckily, the photos there are of her do show the patterns pretty well.

Personally I'm going with this OUTSTANDING build as a reference, built by Hyun Soo Kim.

But, this is how most of my builds end up LOL. This is one of the funnest cartoons I have seen. :giggles:

Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Or this...

Remember seeing this in the news some time back? :headslap: :headslap: :headbang: :headbang:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Those last drawings also reflect my efforts as well! LOL! They are hilarious! I didn't see that last one on the news; what was that all about?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle this.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It happened back in 2012 actually. Here’s the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/worl ... spain.html

That’s not the only botched restoration in Spain. This one was back in June of 2018 only this time it involved a statue. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 737458002/

Maybe by now (hopefully) Spain will learn better not to hire amateurs to do any of their ancient historical relics. :bored:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

LMAO, you guys are killing me. :lol:
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Reminds me of something my son did in grade school for an assignment. The class was supposed to color in a line drawing of MLK. My son’s turned out looking more like Saddam Hussein... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

BlackSheep214 wrote:It happened back in 2012 actually. Here’s the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/worl ... spain.html

That’s not the only botched restoration in Spain. This one was back in June of 2018 only this time it involved a statue. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 737458002/

Maybe by now (hopefully) Spain will learn better not to hire amateurs to do any of their ancient historical relics. :bored:

Thanks for those links. I never knew this. What were those people thinking? :headslap:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Or this...

Remember seeing this in the news some time back? :headslap: :headslap: :headbang: :headbang:
SWMBO is an artist and would have a stroke over how bad that is.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Well hopefully my my recreation of the POW camo isn't as bad as "Monkey Christ".
I completed the camo painting by masking the light grey and adding, masking increasing darker colors. Next I'll weather it and spray a dull top coat to protect it.

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”