1967 Monogram 1/72 US Navy A-5A Vigilante.

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1967 Monogram 1/72 US Navy A-5A Vigilante.

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Great reference photos on the A-5 bang seats.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos! Thank you so much. Marius suggested using RLM 02 as the green grey of the seatback upholstery. Now I know why. Thank you for explaining how and why and what was in use!

Also thanks Tom!

Carlos brought both his knowledge and awesome visual aids here as well. Now to execute the vision.... in color.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Tamiya or Humbrol RLM 02 would also work. Haze Gray might work for the head rest pad area. Something to keep in mind, Military fabric colors are made to a standard, but there can be some slight variation within them when new. It’s not like going to the store and seeing the exact same shade on a display rack of brand name clothing. That stuff goes to the discount outlets. And once the military start weathering, variations definitely occur in the fading of the dyes.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much for making those points, Carlos. As my schedule continues to be to finish the construction by the weekend, I am grateful to have the enormous benefit of your knowledge going forward into the painting stage. I have definitely changed up my approach by spending almost the entire time hiding seams and re-sculpting the Monogram fuselage, and keeping the seat details to a clean and simple standard will be the correct aesthetic methodology. Clean and simple is in my opinion the harder of modeling approaches. I reference your F-86 project for this one.

North American HS-1A Ejection Seat

Late last night I had the notion to use Milliput to sculpt a seat and cushion. Why not try this out? Be flexible? I used my grandfather’s pen knife and two thin slabs of Milliput. I was unsure about adding seat and shoulder belts at first, but I thought “Why not try making Milliput belts, too?” I feel good even now this far into the project to try new ways to approach this kit to keep within the aesthetic of Monogram which is just about a half-step from a toy to a model. Plus once the canopy is glued in place, fully half of the work will disappear.

After having a conversation with Marius about how he makes the grab handles from copper wire wrapped carefully around a forming piece then painted, I gently removed the kit part and plan to do something similar, and more to scale here. I also plan to add the two sets of radio cables that are part of the seating arrangement. First paint, then detailing.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Wouh, that looked good already as it was!

Can hardly wait to see the looks when that part is scratch built, painted and added.. Or added and painted.. nevertheless, will look great!!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Ok, thats it! I am shipping all my cockpits to you! Flipping high detail in 1/72!! :bow:
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stunning work Bruce!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The kindness and support from you gentlemen is outstanding and greatly appreciated. I took the rough sculpt and refined things a bit. No photo yet. To answer Kari, I was not completely satisfied with the first version and thought I would at least make another attempt. Kevin—I’ll send you all of my Luftwaffe Aircraft for you to paint camouflage on them; truly I am most impressed by your flawless finishes... and Stuart, likewise, I humbly thank you for inspiring me with your deeds and words both. Thank you all. Tonight I am going to make some tape belts for the lap sections, I hope, in addition to the fix on the exhaust outlets where thinned plastic cracked. If those two things get done I am still on track to complete this on schedule.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm:
Looking damned good with that miniature sculpting!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Carlos!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”