30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Finished/"Under Glass" 08/16

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Rolling Chassis 07/14

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks portman! I've been doing some re-fitting with this build because it just wasn't coming together in regards to fit. I removed a battery box on the bottom of the car and suddenly everything started lining up right again. Hope to be finishing this one up fairly quick.
mustang1989

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Rolling Chassis 07/14

Post by mustang1989 »

Ok I'm back with a few updates on this rascal. I have done a lot to this thing even though it doesn't really look like I did a thing. The side steps have been touched up with a fresh light coat of black as have the rear bumper mounts. I put the body on and it was an act of Congress to get that to happen as all the years of heat damage have warped the crap out of this model.......but......I got it. It fits terribly and there's just only so much I can do. I installed the rear bumper, door handles and fuel cap. I've painted replacement headlight buckets that will be set aside to dry/ gas out for the next two weeks.
I did drill into the body and into the headlight buckets so I could pin them in place. I don't know about anybody else here but getting stuff like outside rearview mirrors and externally mounted headlights mounted on the body is like dancing with the devil. If you slip up and "miss" the target glue point with the part then you risk screwing up a nice paint job. I pin 'em for an exact fit so I don't have to worry about this.
I'm working just as hard on this thing to keeping it true to my original build as I am modifying my decked out kits so if this aint perfect , there's reason. I wanted at least one "restored" model depicting my skills then vs. these days.
The recent pics...

Stikpusher

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Almost there...08/12

Post by Stikpusher »

Oh my... another Hot Rod! :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

LOL! Yeah I just had to restore this thing. You should go back to the first few photos to see what this contraption looked like to start with. lol
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Youre a closet gear head, aren't you? Nice save! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That’s looking really good now – nice recovery.

If it was mine I think I’d leave it like that with the hood off - that looks kind of cool!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:Youre a closet gear head, aren't you? Nice save! :shoutout:
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Woooo hoooo!! I've worked on a car or two in my time. 20 years dang near in a dealership outta qualify me. lol

And thanks for the good word stik!

Stuart: I dunno what I'm going to do with the hood yet. I may paint up the drag version of it and keep it handy but in keeping with the originality of the build the clear one will have its place.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Got to work on the stock hood. I didn't like the side panels so I cut 'em off....

and both sides ready for washing, priming and paint....

I also started working on the headlights. The replacement kit came with tinted brown headlights. I didn't much care for that so I stole some out of that Boss 429 Mustang kit that I stole the engine out of for my F-100. I trimmed em up and applied some Future over the lenses. No pics but you'll see the results here in a week or so.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Ok. I finally got the headlamp assys completed. I got complete with the passengers side lamp and started on the drivers side. While trying to glue the lens in place I dropped it into a drop of clear parts glue and blemished the outside of it. I dropped into a small bottle of Windex and stripped off the Future and started over with it. A while later I was able to finish the drivers headlamp assy off. I also managed to paint the hood sections last night and this morning were dry enough to fit on for pics. After 30 years the original blue has faded and is noticeable here.
You know, this model will certainly never be one of my best nor will it ever be in a model show however I look on this one with the mindset of it was one of the stepping stones toward getting better as well as admiring the fact that it's survived all these years.

A couple more finishing touches to go and I'll get some glamour shots of the ol' mule. BTW I have since fixed that utterly disgusting gap between the front fender and the drivers side step as well as the 3/16" offset towards the passengers side of the body mount on the frame. Took some patience but I got it. The glamour shots will reflect this change.

Last edited by mustang1989 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: 30+ Yr Old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser-Headlamps&Hood 08/15

Post by KSaarni »

This has been a really fun restoration project to follow, looking so good now!

Almost impossible to believe it's the same Chevy as shown here on the 6th of July.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”