Latest Acquesitions - pt.3

Your new purchase or arrival!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Latest Acquesitions - pt.3

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:32 pm Nice that the shop has the Amazon Store Front to allow for such items as that which they don't carry. My closest LHS is a Hobby Lobby at 12 miles, and with the current price of gas here...
That hobby store is 33 miles (40 minute drive) away. Doesn't make sense to drive that just for a few minor things.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Sounds about like my trek to Andy’s…. 34 miles and a 45 minute drive to get there… soon to be increasing because of additional stop lights being added on parts of the route…. :sad:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That sounds about right! The ones I have available including HL are all at least 15-18 miles with 12-15 lights and a lot of traffic. Oh, and let us not forget road construction!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

My closest HL is only 5 miles. In a pinch for glue and such its great. My closest real hobby shop is about an hour Victory Models in Ft. Myers Beach
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

HobbyTown in Clinton, NY opened up a year ago so that’s a decent 15 miles from my home. Walt’s Hobby is in Syracuse (1 hr) and another really good one near my sister-in-law’s house in Webster called Performance Hobbies (Rochester area - 2 1/2 hrs). I’ve been to that one only once. I’ve been wanting to go back for the last 5 years or so.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

A couple of new purchases for me - The Quad I've wanted to build since I was a kid, when the closest I ever got to a Tamiya kit was the catalogue - I used to love all of the dio photos in it. As for the Sherman, I'm currently listening to an audiobook about exploits of a Sherman troop tank commander in the 'Sherwood Rangers' tank regiment, and their time spent post D-Day. Whilst I have an 'Easy Eight' kit, the book made me want to build a more standard M4 with the 75mm gun. I'm not actually sure if this kit would be acceptable as a British M4, but I'm okay to building it as US tank anyway - I like the look of the Great-coated figures!

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Two nice ones, Stuart!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, you’re gonna love the Quad tractor with the 25 Pounder. Both of those build up great. As far as the Sherman kit goes, that’s a nice one also, but I don’t thing that the M4A3 75mm saw much service with Commonwealth forces in WWII. The M4, M4A1, M4A2, and M4A4 were the more commonly used types by your armies. The US Army preferred the A3, and wanted to standardize on that type as much as possible once it became available in large numbers.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Carlos, I had a feeling that would be the case - It's no problem though, as I'm more than happy to build a US one. Eventually I'd like to build a US Sherman, Lee and a Stuart along with a Hellcat.

I'm really looking forward to the Quad, It turned up today and looks great in the box.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, if you want to build a British Tamiya Sherman, this one is a good starting point.

With a replacement engine deck and rear plate it can easily be converted to a Sherman III, or OOB is a fine Sherman I. I don't know which type the Sherwood Rangers were equipped with. For a long hull Sherman V I'd say look at Tasca/Asuka, or Dragon.

FLSM

Return to “Latest Acquisitions”