On the eve of war

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
Stikpusher

On the eve of war

Post by Stikpusher »

The Louisiana Maneuvers were held in late August & early September 1941. They were the first wargames held of large size elements for the US Army that were done with actual troops and equipment in the field as opposed to tabletop map based wargames. It saw many firsts- the first armored divisions were created and employed (1st & 2nd Armored Divisions), the first mass tactical use of paratroopers in an exercise (502nd Parachute Infantry Battalion), the beginnings of air/ground co ordinated air support. Field Grade officers- Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley, Clark, Stillwell, mid grade leaders who would show their potential here and become the Generals who would lead the new army created here to final victory in Europe and the Pacific during the war that would start for the US less than 90 days after the exercises ended.

I came across a large picture thread in the Life/Google archives. A mix of the old and the new... I have been able to identify the town of Many, Louisiana off of some of the photos...

Have a look here for more by just clicking on the images... lots to see

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/87 ... 74e79.html
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: On the eve of war

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

So that is a P-36 Hawk with special markings for the excercise?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BorgR3mc0 wrote:So that is a P-36 Hawk with special markings for the excercise?
That is a SBD. The Navy provided aircraft for the exercise. As well as the Army Air Force. If you go to the link and have a look at the different photos you will see many types.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stik, were these maneuvers in which George Patton gassed up his tanks/vehicles at commercial gas stations, paying out of his own pocket? Or, is that just an apocryphal story?
Gary
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

More than likely it was. If you do a web search on the Louisiana maneuvers, you will find lots of quirky stories about those war games.... one of the local universities in that area has several posted.

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”