Hobby Boss Kraz-255B Russian Truck

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
speedgraflex

Re: Hobby Boss Kraz-255B Russian Truck

Post by speedgraflex »

Great work, Monty. I truly am enjoying your approaches to the stages of the project—and I have to admit, I read your initial series of posts earlier and found myself at a loss for words, heh, never thought that would happen but it did—there’s quite a lot of takeaway here, and I still have about a few thousand questions for you on your 1/72 aircraft (beautiful beautiful beautful work) but I am also content to enjoy the show right now. Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I have to say that your photography skills are exceptional, Monty. It's a pleasure to follow your progress guided by them.

There is an idea in my head for years now, where a Russian truck and a boneyard of communist monuments... :hmm:
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Thank you,

Duke - Its been a while I haven't done proper filters on my kits. not the most efficient, but I still like the process.

Bruce - Happy to chat on the 1/72 scale aircraft! I love 1/72 scales though my current stash in that scale is quickly dwindling.

Mostrich - I guess the work in progress photos were the indirect results of adapting to the demand of the magazines I was writing to.

Best, Monty
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Rusty Kraz
The next phase of detailing the model is to add some rust effect. The rust effect is quite easy to replicate but some say they can be easily overdone by modelers. In this project, I tried to refrain myself by only using the reference that I have to replicate the rusty appearance.

The photo reference of the Kraz that I posted a while ago seem to show a truck that has been extensively used but currently in storage. I kinda understand that bare steel can rust very quickly. With the right temperature and moisture, scratched automotive body can develop rust in less than a week. For the truck in the reference photos, its hard to tell, but looking at the color of the rust, it looks like the truck has been neglected by the crew for weeks or if not months.

I used AMMO rust weathering products and applied them with either a brush or sponge. I don't usually do rust on my model so this is a new experience for me. I would thought that rust would just be dots LOL but I found out that it is more than that. rust is very diverse in color and shape. So finding the right way to use the tools to replicate the appearance of rust is i think important.

The AMMO product is enamel based. If I want to use a thinned-down version, I usually thin it with Tamiya enamel thinner. Here is another close up image that shows you the rust effect. its almost unnoticeable, but it is there.

Last edited by dmminiatures on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monty / dmminiatures
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Truck Bed
I have been so eager to get the truck bed installed. I just never build trucks before and my expectation sort of slipped. I thought I could build them like tanks where I can visualize the finished model in the first quarter of the WIP. Despite I have painted the truck bed, I still couldn't get it installed before I gave the lower part some dried mud splatter.

I had to do the splatter effects now because it would be difficult to do it after the truck bed is installed. Still at this stage, I followed with adding some streaks on the chassis. The liquid from the AMMO bottle is too thick for my use, so again i thinned it down with Tamiya enamel thinner before brushing it. All of this would be easier if it was done without the wheels installed. Maybe next time if i do another truck project, I have better leave the wheels for last.

Monty / dmminiatures
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Live and learn, right? In any case, you’re doing a great job. Most realistic!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Stikpusher wrote:Live and learn, right? In any case, you’re doing a great job. Most realistic!
Yes, always learning new things!
Monty / dmminiatures
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Brilliant work Monty! Yeah, I've built a ton of trucks and I always leave the wheels off until almost the very end. You are doing magnificent work here!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I received my first Mig AMMO products when I started the cockpit of the Hawk P-47D, so I am curious how you apply these washes. I know also it is difficult to show visually how this part of the process works through documentation, but I would be grateful if you wrote a bit about what brushes or sponges you use as well as care and handling of brushes, any mixing pots that you use as well. What I am discovering is I really like small batches of color coats, far smaller than I would ever use as a painter. This part of the learning curve took awhile to understand. Thanks in advance, Monty. And if this is too much to answer don’t worry about it. For me, this one area of model building that needs further investigation, but for you, you are doing beautifully.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
dmminiatures
Master Member

Post by dmminiatures »

Hi Bruce - Happy New Year! Sorry just read your post. Yes, I think I can do that. I might have to put together a pictures from different projects as example. I like your idea very much and definitely do-able.

Best, Monty
Monty / dmminiatures

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”