KENNY X HAS A TANK

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Re: KENNY X HAS A TANK

Post by Stikpusher »

:shocked: oh my.... I’m sold... thanks for the “how to” Kenny!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Stikpusher wrote::shocked: oh my.... I’m sold... thanks for the “how to” Kenny!

No problem my man. Good luck! And have fun with it. The oils are one of my favorite tools and working with them is one of my favorite parts of this process.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Part 1 was genius. Thank you, sir!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

speedgraflex wrote:Part 1 was genius. Thank you, sir!

Most welcome my friend, most welcome!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Part 2!

Okay folks, here we are, the morning-after:

”Studio”

Under harsh light

The remaining thinner has had plenty of time to evaporate, and the oils have indeed mellowed out a little bit. The effect I have created here is dirt and dust and at the same time it has warmed-up the model a little bit, picking up the ball where our highlights left off and running with it. And note- the running gear and idler wheels and drive wheels will be highlighted with a more RLM02-leaning paint and a much less opaque German Gray blend coat (similarly to how I did the wheels on the StuG), so that this dirt and dust and grime effect will show on a more intense level. I remember that I had disliked that painting scheme on the StuG after I’d done it but said “Meh, that’s just gonna get darkened-up with oils anyway...” out of laziness. But boy was I happy with the results later on after I’d applied the oils and pigments, oh man:

Yeah baw! Come on...

Okay, so that’s that for now. Oh! But one more thing- some of that sheen will get knocked-back by the clear coat to come, remember that when working with these oils.

Next post I’ll give you some detail about streaking.
Kenny X
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

:shoutout:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

Okay! How about we talk about streaks?

I’m thinking about how this was a diving tank. What does a diving tank look like after it’s re-emerged? What does a great-big, mean, alligator snapping turtle look like when he re-emerges? Water runs down the giant spikes and contours on his carapace, and mud and grime all flow right along with it. And some spots may be more muddy and grimy than others so we’ll account for that, too because mud doesn’t cake you in a uniform pattern.

1. Get your “mud” ready! Burnt Umber, and I have my applicator, thinners with which I’ve made a slightly more pigmentaed wash, and my brush, of course. Here I’m getting a dab of thinner on the brush as well.

2. Wipe off the brush just a bit. I like these brushes for streaks.

3. Apply that thickened wash to the area you’d like to streak. I like to drag it across sometimes and stipple it on other times.

4. Use your brush to streak the paint downward. I use lots of brush strokes and I may do this process two or three times on each area, adding thinner to the brush if I need to.

That’s pretty much it. And like I said, sometimes I’ll repeat the process over certain areas, adjusting the amount of thinner on the brush, or even with a slightly thicker or thinner wash, too. For this model I basically went in layers and whilst doing so I let my imagination wander over the snapping turtle subject and it’s similarities with the tank subject, and if I imagined a spot where there’d maybe be more mud, I’ll build it up with thicker washes little by little. Also, I liked the look of that Burnt Umber combined with yesterday’s filters. So I opted to do a bit more dot fading with Burnt Umber after I’d streaked it up to my liking.

Here’s the results.

“Studio”:

Under harsh light:

Looks like the old baw Kenny X went fishing and caught him an alligator snapper with the fly rod, doesn’t it?
Kenny X
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Firstly: I love the fact that you're using a cocktail umbrella instead of a toothpick. That is such a cool personal touch!

Secondly: Dein Schnapper ist ein gar bissig Gefährt! (Your Schnapper is truly a currish vehicle!)

Thirdly: That bear reminds me on the city arms of Berlin.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Dude! Even better! Thank you for sharing how you make magic! I’m excited to try out variations on aircraft... and X-Wings. I’m getting drawn back into the world of ILM circa 1976 Burbank again. I wanna blow s***t up on video.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

mostrich wrote:Firstly: I love the fact that you're using a cocktail umbrella instead of a toothpick. That is such a cool personal touch!

Secondly: Dein Schnapper ist ein gar bissig Gefährt! (Your Schnapper is truly a currish vehicle!)

Thirdly: That bear reminds me on the city arms of Berlin.

Hey! Always enjoy when you stop in and look! Thank you!

You know, my buddy is something of a WWII buff and he asked me if it was from a Berliner detachment. I guess because of the Berlin Bear on there. I meant to look it up but haven’t gotten around to yet.
Kenny X

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”