Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Stikpusher

Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Post by Stikpusher »

My latest project that I started this evening.

I won’t be using the kit figures. They are just the basic multipose infantry figures and don’t quite work for this subject. So I will be using this Bronco figure set. Thankfully, Bronco’s figures tend to be on the larger end of the 1/35 spectrum

I made it thru step 5, which basicly assembled the barrel, breech, muzzle brake, and cradle. I found a 1980 trademark stamp inside the base of the cradle.

More to come in the next few days...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Airfix 1/32 17 Pounder

Post by Floki »

Had to reread the post to see what you meant about the size of the figures but I get it now the gun is 1/32 scale. Should be a nice build you plan to show us how you paint your figures?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, I will post my figures work here as well. That will be once the gun is completed. And let’s just say that my figure painting technique is very much a work in progress. We shall see what happened with these.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

This is gonna be good. Time for a movie and popcorn both!

:popcorn:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Exciting and tempting project Carlos!

Footnote: I really wonder, why Airifx made this in 1/32 ? Already at 1980 I guess 1/35 scale was "de facto" for armor kits.. :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I was wondering about the scale, too. I thought they did Rommel's GREIF in 1/32 as well or at least I recall that kit coming up when I was researching which kit would be the right one to try out.

:hmm:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

KSaarni wrote:Exciting and tempting project Carlos!

Footnote: I really wonder, why Airifx made this in 1/32 ? Already at 1980 I guess 1/35 scale was "de facto" for armor kits.. :hmm:

- Kari
I find the whole 1/32 for aircraft and 1/35 for armor very weird. Why not one scale?
ImageImageImageImageImage
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Absolutely true, agree !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

I didn’t know Airfix made this kind of stuff! That’s really cool.
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, thanks for that video! Boy that thing has a muzzle blast when fired!

- Kari
I’m pretty sure that this was their last “new tool” 1/32 kit. But, yes, by 1980, 1/32 was pretty much on the way out. Monogram would reissue their 1/32 kits, but like most of the Airfix stuff, it was all 70s tooling. Tamiya, Italeri, and Heller had 1/35 kits dominating by 1980.
speedgraflex wrote:I was wondering about the scale, too. I thought they did Rommel's GREIF in 1/32 as well or at least I recall that kit coming up when I was researching which kit would be the right one to try out.

:hmm:
I picked up the Airfix 1/32 Greif at our AMPS auction last year. I’ll build it one of these days. I did back when it was new tool new release as a kid, so I’m sure this one will turn out better... :giggles:
BorgR3mc0 wrote:

- Kari
I find the whole 1/32 for aircraft and 1/35 for armor very weird. Why not one scale?
And it’s been that way for decades! Aside from some 1/35 helicopter kits in the past 20 years, most large scale aircraft kits are still 1/32. Not to mention all the 54mm/1:32 figures out there as well. Verlinden’s stuff always ran closer to 1/32 than true 1/35.
KennyX wrote:I didn’t know Airfix made this kind of stuff! That’s really cool.
Yes, they had a few tanks, the previously mentioned Greif, and a few other 1/32 items. Along with their multi pose figures, which probably were the best out there at that time in the scale.

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”