1967 Monogram 1/72 US Navy A-5A Vigilante.

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
speedgraflex

Re: Monogram 1/72 US Navy A-5A Vigilante.

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much!!!! Great to hear from you, Kari!!!!

FYI I am treating the Vigilante like the Colonial Viper from original series “Battlestar Galactica.” Its designer Ralph McQuarrie worked for Boeing Aircraft after serving in the Korean War. He wrote a lovely mantra explaining his life choices: “Dropped out. Zen. Meditation at the beach.” I always thought that his mental state was what opened him to independent success. When I look at “Star Wars: A New Hope” I see the fusion of his style with Joe Johnston as being the nuts and bolts soul of the whole galaxy far, far away.

I ought to go look for more McQuarrie artwork from “Battlestar Galactica.” Also the Yavin IV painting from the original concept art package for “Star Wars” is important to me.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Man I love that artwork. Bruce, your approach for the Vigilante along the line of the Viper is a great idea.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, bud.
I had trouble feeling the build at first. I really did. I was not sure where I could find a point of connection. You know how important that connection is. I was glad I found the Viper. The design holds just enough of the jet DNA for me to keep the interest stoked, akin to figuring out a Fw190 A-1 cockpit is essentially a no-frills race car. That analogue was a huge revelation. These are my thoughts only. I do not expect these to apply to other modelers per se, and I only offer these thoughts as I truly believe getting over the builder hump for me is somehow related to “build what you know,” ya know?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Wow, you made that ejector mark fill perfect!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks mate! I am stopping to rest. I think this is my first two hour session in forever. What a wild ride.

I glued the fuse top and bottom and started to remove a step between the halves. I also sculpted a nose that looks a little more en pointe (pun intended):

Note wing section, intakes and fin are not glued. The seat and pilot fit into a hole in the cockpit opening which I can do later so I am gonna do that later. Closing halves and figuring out a way to remove the step are paramount... I am not wasting paint on unseen cockpit details. Although I may add the gunsight since Trumpeter included it; and a gunsight was not used for the recon version.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Looking great!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Kevin.

I am electing to shave down enough of the top bottom to make a smooth transition and reduce the appearance of the seam. I am not sure how to hide the seam without going in the direction of panel line removal, sanding and CA fill on both sides. I took the approach of adding material to reshape the nose because I think that one smooth overall appearance is not quite right—the nose cone is a separate piece which is mated to the rest of the fuselage. We shall see.

I am treating this fuse pretty much like every X-Wing: fix the nose; fix the seam... you folks have any ideas about doing this better? Easier? I hate having to grind off surface details.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like you’ve captured the curvature of the nose. :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”