1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190D-13 Yellow 10

Post by jkim »

Each riveting session begins with the drawing of lines on plastic using scale drawings. The last major component to receive the riveting treatment is the wing bottom.

A look at the surface texture right after the rivet wheel has tramped its way across the wing surface. Running my fingers across the raised bumps gives me a 70's vibe when raised rivets were common.

The wings are sanded with fine sandpaper and then given a brown pastel wash to check the work.

With both the wing tops and bottoms riveted, I wanted to check out the Aires wheel well bays again. If you recall, they fell short width-wise, throwing off the alignment of the wing cannon and the barrel openings in the wings. My solution was to cut the wheel well in half, exactly in the middle and using the wing cannon/barrel opening as the datum line for installation of the two bays independently.

All of the components seem to fit together pretty well.

Because the location of the wheel well has changed in relation to the landing gear mounts, the fit of the landing gear and retraction arms need to be checked. The Aires resin set would have you graft several components to form a new retraction arm which I think is too fiddly for not much benefit. I am sticking with the plastic retraction arms and making any necessary adjustments, which look to be fairly minor.
Last edited by jkim on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

The solutions that you're coming up with look like they are going to work out very well. It's funny how we can drum up just the right combinations of things to make it all work. Excellent details as well.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Joe! I had worked out the Aires wheel well set months ago so it was just a matter of verifying that all was ok.

I replaced the plastic cannon barrels with brass tubing.

Some details were added to the landing retraction arms.

The retraction arms after painting.

The Synthetic Ordnance works landing gear legs have been painted. I added copper wiring for brake lines, held in place by small pieces of brass tubing. The stencils on the legs are from AIMS.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I've said it before......but wow every minute detail
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks Johnny!

Getting the Aires resin wheel well ready for attachment to the wings. They have been painted and I have temporarily mounted the wing cannons as a location aid.

The wheel wells are placed by making sure the gun barrels are centered on the openings in the leading edge of the wing.

I can formally abandon the kit wheel wells so I salvage the wing spar component using my new favorite saw: Blue Steel.

By including a thin central section of the kit wheel well on the wing spar, I can conveniently fill that gap between the separate wheel well parts.

This works out rather well, I must say. As a late and unexpected development, I will have to paint and weather this central section of the wheel well before I move on.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

That definitely looks the business, John. What metalizer did you use on the gear struts?
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Absolutely gorgeous John! I'm really enjoying the work you are doing on this one. Also does he plan on making these multimedia landing gear in 1/48 it just large scale?
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Speechless... and incredible work.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Paul wrote:That definitely looks the business, John. What metalizer did you use on the gear struts?
The shiny metal part is actually stainless steel. Damian at Scale Ordnance Works sent me a prototype of a composite landing gear replacement for a Bf109 build last year. They are resin cast over a stiff piano wire core with the shiny oleo part made of stainless steel tubing. With some comments from me about the axle angle, he finalized the design and put them out for sale and sent me some sets for the Hasegawa 190 kits. They are great products... with all of the strength of the metal gear but much easier to handle due to the resin construction. I don't think he has a retail site up but if you are interested, you can contact him at DBAndrus@protonmail.com. He's expanded his product range beyond that first Bf109 set. You can see his catalog of products here...

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/inde ... g-updated/
Floki wrote:Absolutely gorgeous John! I'm really enjoying the work you are doing on this one. Also does he plan on making these multimedia landing gear in 1/48 it just large scale?
As far as I know, Damian is making 1/32 products only. I'll ask him if he has plans to try different scales.

BlackSheep214 wrote:Speechless... and incredible work.
Thank you very much!

Jerry Crandall pointed out that Yellow 10 did NOT have landing gear leg markings of any kind along with photo evidence so I wiped the landing gear clean leaving only the brass tube bits that hold the brake line.

While painting the landing gear, I managed to glue the wings together. Clamps were used to make sure the wings and wing spar part stay in contact, maintaining the wing's correct cross-section shape.

Here are the re-painted landing gear legs with the other landing gear components.

The sliding canopy has been glued into place. After some cleanup of the wing leading edges, it will be time to glue the wings to the fuselage. Or maybe I'll do the radiator cowling first.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That had to be hard to wipe all that work you put into the landing gear. If anyone but him would of said it then I would of just left it.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”